Installing Vanessa over Win 10 (SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FUBAR
Level 3
Level 3

Installing Vanessa over Win 10 (SOLVED)

Post by FUBAR »

Hi
So I decided to go back to dual boot. I got Windows installed and updated. However, I came a cross a issue with Mint not seeing my Win10 install. Mint want to erase the disk and install Vanessa. I have tried "Something else" and I get "no EFI partition" "no root", round and round I go. Did some reading and it mentions that if Win10 bios is in Legacy mode (which it is) Mint does not see Win10. I went to Bios, it is set as Legacy and UFI.

Does how I installed Win10 (from a DVD) make it install in Legacy mode??
Maybe my copy of Win10 is outdated?? I did have to run MS Application Updater???

Thoughts??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Installing Vanessa over Win 10

Post by zcot »

It doesn't matter, whatever <--> whatever.

If you install in legacy, then you must boot the Mint session in legacy.

If you install in uefi, then you must boot the Mint session in uefi.

If you have a setting in bios that says "legacy only", then use that instead of "automatic" or "both", if you want to make sure the Mint session will boot with that mode. And, sometimes, it also depends on how you have created the usb(I think dvd does not matter), because sometimes a created usb will not even be able to boot in legacy mode. I'm not sure which of the installers will do it (wrong) like that but there are a few and they will just not build the correct setup for legacy to be used.

Also, there's a bug in the installer where it will say "no efi, or esp maybe" and you can just ignore it and proceed(unless you are actually using efi setup). The installer saying "no root", that's a user error meaning that you have not instructed the system for a particular partition to be used as the / filesystem.

For example look at that picture: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... e-computer
scroll down to the first ! Note section, blue square, that image will show the selected green area is a partition that is marked to be used as / you will notice the "Mount point" column.
FUBAR
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Installing Vanessa over Win 10

Post by FUBAR »

SUCCESS!

After tweaking, reading hear and on line, got it figured out. Firstly, my ISO of Win10, was dated 2 yrs ago. Went to MS site, media creation tool, download to USB drive. Used a program called Etcher to create, worked OK. Booted with it, installed, updated, installed device drivers from motherboard, all set to go? I did go looking in my bios, and there were references there to Legacy boot, especially noted on the USB devices. Changed that to UEFI.

Now Vanessa, what was she going to tell me. Vanessa found the WIn10 install, let me adjust the size of the partition to my liking, and we are getting along great!! :lol:
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Installing Vanessa over Win 10 (SOLVED)

Post by zcot »

Great news!

Return to “Beginner Questions”