4 questions about mint 8

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

4 questions about mint 8

Post by killer de bug »

Hello everyone !!!!

I'm not exactly a new user of mint but almost :D !

I have Mint since last Friday. That's a very nice OS ! Absolutely perfect and I don't regret my choice !

Here are my simple questions :

1) I have read something about FUSA (fast user switch applet) in Ubuntu and the possibility to open a guest session. That's very powerful because it protect your data and when your friend stop the session everything he has done is deleted.

Is it possible to have the same thing in Mint ?

2) Not a long time ago I was using OpenSuse. I had something who was like the "exposé" function in mac : when my mouse was reaching the left top corner, all my windows were visible in the same time and I was able to choose between them. I haven't found this function in Mint ? Does it exist ?

3) In firefox : when I use the google search (top right corner) it's a special google.com with a mint logo who is used. How can I have google.fr (or google.ca when I'm in Canada) like it was when I was using firefox and Windows ? I thing that there is something to change in the about:config menu but I haven't succeed until now

4) Is Wine capable of running an application who is install in my windows partition ? Matlab or Comsol for exemple ? If yes how ? Because when I select the .exe file it's not working.

Thank you all for your help !

Emmanuel
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

garda
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 4 questions about mint 8

Post by garda »

killer de bug wrote: 1) I have read something about FUSA (fast user switch applet) in Ubuntu and the possibility to open a guest session. That's very powerful because it protect your data and when your friend stop the session everything he has done is deleted.

Is it possible to have the same thing in Mint ?
Mint is almost completely compatible with Ubuntu, thus most tricks and tweaks applicable to Ubuntu are also applicable to Mint. So yes, it's possible to have FUSA in Mint.
killer de bug wrote:2) Not a long time ago I was using OpenSuse. I had something who was like the "exposé" function in mac : when my mouse was reaching the left top corner, all my windows were visible in the same time and I was able to choose between them. I haven't found this function in Mint ? Does it exist ?
Control Center > CompizConfig Settings Manager (or Advanced Desktop Effects Settings > Scale plugin
killer de bug wrote:4) Is Wine capable of running an application who is install in my windows partition ? Matlab or Comsol for exemple ? If yes how ? Because when I select the .exe file it's not working.
No. Windows programs rely on registry entries for lots of things, not to mention libraries, all of which are inaccessible when programs are run that way. You need to install them in Wine first. Refer to Wine documentations to get you started.

XidCat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by XidCat »

3) In firefox : when I use the google search (top right corner) it's a special google.com with a mint logo who is used. How can I have google.fr (or google.ca when I'm in Canada) like it was when I was using firefox and Windows ? I thing that there is something to change in the about:config menu but I haven't succeed until now
There are several threads in the forums about this. The Mintified Google is used to raise funds for Mint. I use it for quick searches and to support Mint. For detailed searches I have a bookmark on the personal bar for the regular Google. If this won't work for you... http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=142#comments
"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, Chapter 4

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

For (1) you have to install the gdm-guest-session package and add the "User Switcher" applet to the panel. I don't know if this works in Mint 8 with the new GDM, but I assume so. see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&p=195070 for more background.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Thank you all ! That's really nice !

I didn't know for google and mint menu ... I will see this !

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Ok for the FUSA it looks like everything is installed except the applet.

But if you create a launcher pointing to /usr/share/gdm/guest-session/guest-session-launch and if you launch it in a terminal you have a guest session opening.

That's nice !

But the exposé function is not working ! It showing all the desktops and not all the windows in the desktop... Maybe I'm not using the good applet ...

Thanks !

Return to “Newbie Questions”