[SOLVED]cinnamon crashed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: cinnamon crashed

Post by SMG »

zealbert wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:22 am I tried a different stick again formatted to FAT 32, for the BIOS upgrade; I hit "end", get to the Q-Flash window, "upgrade BIOS"; still getting the message on Q-Flash "can't read file".
From what I could find, formatting it to FAT32 is needed so that is correct.

In this video, the person says to just double-click the file name instead of clicking the arrow on the right side Fix: Gigabyte Q-Flash "Can't Read File" (BIOS Firmware Update Fix) .

If that does not work, I found some people who said they have only had success when they use the usb ports in the back.

With regards to booting into your LM21 usb stick:
I skimmed through the manual and I only see one place where it mentions the boot order. If you have not yet tried a different usb port, I suggest doing that.

Edited to place video name on the link instead of "v".
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

No, I did not do the "create bootable media" step. Sorry, I'm a moron. I will do that.
However there is something I forgot to mention; when I first boot up in the morning is when I get all the problems, "cinnamon crashed", etc. Later on in the day, if I reboot, it works fine, reboots nicely. Is it possibly something to do with my hardware, some component getting cold or something?
When I first boot up after the computer has been off for several hours, I get the problem. Then I reboot about three times, and it finally boots properly.
Weird.
Should I open the tower, clean everything, unplug and re-plug things? I do clean the fans, etc, once in a while, including the fan to the power supply and to the CPU.
The USB port should be ok, it works with everything else. I probably didn't recognize the ISO because I hadn't done the "bootable media" step.
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

The problem with Q Flash, was that I was pressing on the "next" arrow, to the right. I went on Youtube, and found that you have to double click on the name of the upgrade, top of the window, not that arrow. Simple. It worked.
Now, onto installing LM 21, keeping my fingers crossed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zealbert wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:40 amHowever there is something I forgot to mention; when I first boot up in the morning is when I get all the problems, "cinnamon crashed", etc. Later on in the day, if I reboot, it works fine, reboots nicely. Is it possibly something to do with my hardware, some component getting cold or something?
When I first boot up after the computer has been off for several hours, I get the problem. Then I reboot about three times, and it finally boots properly.
Nothing specific comes to mind as what might cause that. The updated BIOS might related to whatever could cause that. BIOS fixes are often related to hardware performance.

All we can do is make changes and test for issues like this one.
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

I've updated the BIOS, and installed Mint 21. So far so good. Here's another problem that popped up now: I have an old HD MP3 player (it's a Cowan A5, a museum piece, but I really like it), that I always was able to download podcasts and music to, but now it keep saying "read-only", can't download to it anymore. I went into the "permissions", and changed everything to "read and write", but it doesn't seem to keep those instructions, just reverts back to "read only". Any ideas?
Thanks for all your help with my BIOS/Mint upgrades!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zealbert wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:03 pmI've updated the BIOS, and installed Mint 21. So far so good.
Run it for a few days and if the problem seems cleared, please return and mark this issue solved. You can do that by going to your first post in this topic, clicking the pencil icon, and adding [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title and then submitting the post.
zealbert wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:03 pm Here's another problem that popped up now: I have an old HD MP3 player (it's a Cowan A5, a museum piece, but I really like it), that I always was able to download podcasts and music to, but now it keep saying "read-only", can't download to it anymore. I went into the "permissions", and changed everything to "read and write", but it doesn't seem to keep those instructions, just reverts back to "read only". Any ideas?
I do not think that problem is related to Cinnamon crashing, so please create a new topic for that issue. Not only is it forum policy to make a new topic for new questions, new topics usually get more attention and thus you are likely to get an answer to your question. (I do not normally help with that type of problem.)
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

Got it, thank you. I will check "solved" after a few days.
Thanks again!
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

It booted up very smoothly and quickly this morning, hopefully these upgrades fixed the problem.
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

Well, since upgrading to Mint 21, and upgrading the kernel, it's booting up very nicely. So I'd like to mark this as "solved"; can you tell me how to do that?
There is just this one lingering problem, which I am not getting any resolution for, and that is the bluetooth that I mentioned. It was working fine with LM 20.3; now it just won't connect (using the same dongle and earbuds). I got one answer from somebody, but didn't work, and no follow up.
Anyway, thanks for all your help with the booting problem!
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Good that it's working. Please mark solved as per my signature.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zealbert wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:59 amSo I'd like to mark this as "solved"; can you tell me how to do that?
Please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue. (animated gif courtesy of user BJZilberman)

zealbert wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:59 amThere is just this one lingering problem, which I am not getting any resolution for, and that is the bluetooth that I mentioned. It was working fine with LM 20.3; now it just won't connect (using the same dongle and earbuds). I got one answer from somebody, but didn't work, and no follow up.
That is a different issue and would not be addressed in this topic. If it has been two days since you received any help in the other topic, you can use the "Bump topic" option. You can find it in the lower left of screen on the Topic Tools (wrench icon). Click the downward pointing triangle beside the wrench to see the "Bump topic" option.

Return to “Beginner Questions”