[SOLVED]cinnamon crashed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED]cinnamon crashed

Post by zealbert »

Hello,
I keep getting this message when I first boot up, lately. I can't upload a picture here, it says "file too large".
The message says:

<<Cinnamon just crashed.>>

<<You are currently running in fallback mode. If you suspect the source of the crash is a local extension, applet or desklet, you can disable downloaded add ons using the checkbox below. Do you want to restart Cinnamon? >>

I checked the box, it didn't help. The only thing that works is if I keep rebooting.
It boots up normally after I restart a couple of times. Any ideas?
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Thu May 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: cinnamon crashed

Post by RIH »

You can reduce the picture size using the Pix application that comes with Mint.
Or, you can use a hosting site like Imgur..
https://imgur.com/

You also need to add your system details to your next post.
The easiest way is to go Menu - System Information - Upload System Information
& then copy & paste that information between the Code Tags (</>) that appear at the top of the reply box..
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

I reduced the size of the picture using pix, down to 262 KB (jpg). It still says "file too large', when I try to attach it.
These are my system details: ( Icurrently have two USB's plugged in, but they are not plugged in when I boot).

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-131-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.4.0 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa 
           base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: B460M GAMING HD v: x.x serial: <filter> 
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: F4 date: 08/28/2020 
CPU:       Topology: 6-Core model: Intel Core i5-10400 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: N/A 
           L2 cache: 12.0 MiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 69597 
           Speed: 3345 MHz min/max: 800/4300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3821 2: 3902 3: 3798 
           4: 1301 5: 3514 6: 2265 7: 3209 8: 1522 9: 3627 10: 3430 11: 3805 12: 2812 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel vendor: Gigabyte driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           chip ID: 8086:9bc5 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CML GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.6 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
           chip ID: 8086:a3f0 
           Device-2: Generalplus type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid 
           bus ID: 1-1.3:16 chip ID: 1b3f:2008 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-131-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte 
           driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.37 TiB used: 635.25 GiB (45.4%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WDS100T2G0A-00JH30 size: 931.52 GiB 
           speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra Fit size: 233.25 GiB 
           serial: <filter> 
           ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Patriot model: N/A size: 235.75 GiB serial: <filter> 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 915.33 GiB used: 482.99 GiB (52.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:     No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] https: //dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
           1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com ulyssa main upstream import backport
           2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
           3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
           5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
           6: deb http: //archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/skype-stable.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] https: //repo.skype.com/deb stable main
Info:      Processes: 329 Uptime: 2h 16m Memory: 15.50 GiB used: 3.26 GiB (21.0%) Init: systemd 
           v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.4.0 alt: 9 Client: Unknown python3.8 client 
           inxi: 3.0.38 
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zealbert wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:15 am I reduced the size of the picture using pix, down to 262 KB (jpg). It still says "file too large', when I try to attach it.
The limit is 200kB.
zealbert wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:15 amThese are my system details:
Your system has a 10th-gen Intel CPU. The 5.4 kernel is too old for that. Please upgrade to the 5.15 kernel.

Instructions for upgrading to the 5.15 kernel:
  • Open Update Manager.
  • Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue.
  • Make sure 5.15 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
  • Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active.
I expect that will help as there may have been problems with the graphics driver not loading when using the older kernel.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

Yes. The problem is I've had all kinds of problems with the 5.15 kernel. I had to remove it and go back to the old one. I don't know why. But why would the kernel suddenly cause cinnamon to crash on boot up? Once booted, everything is working fine.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zealbert wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:28 amThe problem is I've had all kinds of problems with the 5.15 kernel.
We need to know specifics about the problems in order to help you.
zealbert wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:28 amBut why would the kernel suddenly cause cinnamon to crash on boot up? Once booted, everything is working fine.
If the graphics driver does not load, then it is possible Cinnamon will crash.
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

I've upgraded to the 5.15 kernel. Still having the problem. I get the big delay in the boot, both starting and after signing in. I initially get that message that "cinnamon crashed". Then I reboot a couple of times, and it works. I noticed that when it first finally boots up, there is no sound icon; sound just doesn't load. Then I reboot again, and the sound appears. Also, I have entered this command: <sudo systemctl mask NetworkManager-wait-online.service>, and it does seem to help, but this fix is not permanent. Could it be something faulty in my hardware? Or, should I reinstall Linux using the new version instead of Ulyssa? What I am running now is: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa \n \l
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zealbert wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:20 amOr, should I reinstall Linux using the new version instead of Ulyssa? What I am running now is: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa \n \l
Your computer has a 10th-gen Intel CPU so it would probably be better for you to run Linux Mint 21 Vanessa. You can test it with a live session before installing to see if there are any issues.

If this is the correct link B460M GAMING HD (rev. 1.0) BIOS there is a newer version, F5, available. That might also help.

Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: B460M GAMING HD v: x.x serial: <filter>
UEFI: American Megatrends v: F4 date: 08/28/2020
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

Boy, I'm really sorry, but I don't understand the instructions; I am not very computer savvy, as you can probably tell by now.
1. What does it mean, to "test with a live session"? How do I do that?
2. "If this is the correct link"? How would I know that? And, what is this a link to? Is this something I install, or?
Again, very sorry for being so ignorant.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zealbert wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:08 am1. What does it mean, to "test with a live session"? How do I do that?
You would create an install usb/dvd for Linux Mint 21. Then you boot it and use the default selection of starting Linux Mint.

You would now be running a full version of Linux Mint from the usb (and not from your hard drive). The version of Linux Mint you are running will only last as long as you have it running, thus it is a live session. It dies when you shut down. You can not reboot a live session. The session will restart with the defaults each time you start Linux Mint from that install usb.
zealbert wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:08 am2. "If this is the correct link"? How would I know that? And, what is this a link to? Is this something I install, or?
I presume you would have some type of documentation for your computer which would explain how to update the BIOS. Usually, I find the correct link, but sometimes there are slight difference in motherboards and the link I find is not the correct one. Check your documentation.
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

Oh, I see. So that link you gave me is the name of my motherboard?
Yes, I should have the documentation, I'll look. Thanks for the info about "live session". So that means I download Mint 21 onto a USB stick, then boot from that, got it.
This is what I got from this command, to find out about my motherboard: "sudo dmidecode | less" . I think you are right, just want to make sure I can do the upgrade without any problems.

Code: Select all

<# dmidecode 3.2
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.2.0 present.
Table at 0x99B4B000.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 26 bytes
BIOS Information
        Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
        Version: F4
        Release Date: 08/28/2020
        Address: 0xF0000
        Runtime Size: 64 kB
        ROM Size: 16 MB
        Characteristics:
                PCI is supported
                BIOS is upgradeable
                BIOS shadowing is allowed
                Boot from CD is supported
                Selectable boot is supported
                BIOS ROM is socketed
                EDD is supported
                5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
                3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
                3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
                Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
                Serial services are supported (int 14h)
                Printer services are supported (int 17h)
                ACPI is supported
                USB legacy is supported
                BIOS boot specification is supported
                Targeted content distribution is supported
                UEFI is supported
        BIOS Revision: 5.17

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
        Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
        Product Name: B460M GAMING HD
        Version: Default string
        Serial Number: Default string
        UUID: 03c00218-044d-05b2-c906-370700080009
        Wake-up Type: Power Switch
        SKU Number: Default string
        Family: B460 MB>
Last edited by SMG on Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed terminal output in code tags.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

So that means I download Mint 21 onto a USB stick,
I respect and appreciate your good humble attitude. :D

You first download Mint 21 from the official site ( I usually have great luck out of James madison university " mirror " . Then use " Usb Image Writer" program to put that Mint 21 image file ( it shows as a .iso ) into that thumb drive.

Any time you boot from a Linux Mint ( or almost any linux distro for that matter) 's installation thumb drive ( or in my case.. sata ssd ;) ) , you're booting into what we call a " Live environment" or " live disc" sometimes it's called.

** on to the bios updating point/instructions **

Yes...SMG gave you the exact correct link straight from that motherboard's manufacturer ( Gigabyte) to download it from. You'll left click on that cloud looking big thing around center-ways under " Download"
==== It will be
F5
After you download it, this ==>> https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/us/ ... h_uefi.pdf explains the rest.

*** warning....DON'T try updating the bios/uefi( often these terms are conversationally interchangeable) during a thunderstorm. If an electrical outage occurs..it can ...BRICK...your motherboard and thus ..no more pc. You'd have to replace the motherboard and possibly also the cpu and ram depending on the damage . ***

Be patient with the process. If you're using a usb 2.0 thumb drive to use as the access drive for the Q flash utility, it will always be slower than a usb 3.0 drive and it could take between 1.5 to as much as 12 minutes depending on other factors too.

Do...NOT...power off that pc until it claims the process completed successfully /it tells you to or it tells you to press f10 and enter or whatever to reboot.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

Great, thank you for all the info.
As for this sentence:
"If you're using a usb 2.0 thumb drive to use as the access drive for the Q flash utility"; I am not sure what this means. What is the Q flash utility? Is that for the motherboard upgrade, or to install LM 21? I only have USB 3.0 drives. Should the drive be formatted so that nothing else is on it? Should it be NTFS, or FAT, or?
Thanks
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

I was reading the PDF for Q-Flash; at item 3, under "before you begin", it says "during the POST, press the <end> key", etc. What is the POST? Boot up?
Also, I got the answer to my question about the USB drive format (FAT32).
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zealbert wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:13 am What is the POST? Boot up?
POST = Power On Self Test and is basically the computer hardware powering on. It is the first part of the boot up which happens before the operating system starts. A computer can POST and you can get into BIOS/UEFI even if no operating system is installed.
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

Boy am I having trouble. I downloaded the Mint 21 ISO file, put it on a FAT32 stick (3.0), 128g capacity. Nothing else on the stick. It wouldn't give me a choice where to boot from initially, just went straight to the HD. Then I hit F2 to get to the BIOS; changed the boot order to the stick being first, saved and exited; again, started from the HD. Did not recognize my boot order change.
For the BIOS update, I put the stick in, went though the steps, but it said "can't recognize drive".
I did format the stick to FAT32.
This is what came with the BIOS download (shows of course as icons on the stick).

/home/gigabyte/Desktop/mb_bios_b460m-gaming-hd_f5/autoexec.bat
/home/gigabyte/Desktop/mb_bios_b460m-gaming-hd_f5/B460MGHD.F5
/home/gigabyte/Desktop/mb_bios_b460m-gaming-hd_f5/Efiflash.exe
/home/gigabyte/Desktop/mb_bios_b460m-gaming-hd_f5/readme.txt

I put all these on the stick; then I tried with just the
B460MGHD.F5 icon, but that didn't work either.

Help!
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

I just noted on the Linux site, that you can't upgrade from 20.1 directly to 21. You first have to upgrade to 20.3, which I am doing now. Is this correct?
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

I upgraded to Mint 20.3; same thing, it just keeps booting up from the HD, doesn't notice the boot priority, which I had set at #1 for the USB with the ISO for Mint 21.
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

I tried a different stick again formatted to FAT 32, for the BIOS upgrade; I hit "end", get to the Q-Flash window, "upgrade BIOS"; still getting the message on Q-Flash "can't read file".
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zealbert wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:37 am I downloaded the Mint 21 ISO file, put it on a FAT32 stick (3.0), 128g capacity. Nothing else on the stick. It wouldn't give me a choice where to boot from initially, just went straight to the HD. Then I hit F2 to get to the BIOS; changed the boot order to the stick being first, saved and exited; again, started from the HD. Did not recognize my boot order change.
You have to burn the ISO to the stick so the stick is bootable. You did that, Create the bootable media, correct?

With some computers, instead of changing the boot order and saving and exiting, there an option where you can select from which drive to boot and then just boot it (without making any changes). I do not know the specifics of your computer.
zealbert wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:37 am For the BIOS update, I put the stick in, went though the steps, but it said "can't recognize drive".
I did format the stick to FAT32.
This is what came with the BIOS download (shows of course as icons on the stick).
Is that all you have on that stick? No other files?
zealbert wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:00 am I just noted on the Linux site, that you can't upgrade from 20.1 directly to 21. You first have to upgrade to 20.3, which I am doing now. Is this correct?
Yes, that is correct.
zealbert wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:22 am I tried a different stick again formatted to FAT 32, for the BIOS upgrade; I hit "end", get to the Q-Flash window, "upgrade BIOS"; still getting the message on Q-Flash "can't read file".
Check your motherboard documentation to see if they have any tips. Also, make sure to try a different usb port. It might be a port-related issue.

Return to “Beginner Questions”