I used timeshift , and now i'm stuck in lock screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shilmaz
Level 1
Level 1

I used timeshift , and now i'm stuck in lock screen

Post by shilmaz »

I used timeshift for the first time, but when my laptop is rebooted and i write the password, a black screen appears and after that comeback to the lock screen, please help me, much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat May 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I used timeshift , and now i'm stuck in lock screen

Post by deepakdeshp »

I can think of only a fresh install. Others may have ideas.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
shilmaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shilmaz »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:45 am I can think of only a fresh install. Others may have ideas.
i got some important files, can i restore them if i installed mint again ?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

shilmaz wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:01 am i got some important files, can i restore them if i installed mint again ?
You should make a backup before doing that. You can do so by booting the machine from the installation medium and copying your files to a second USB stick.
But I think your problem is simply a full partition, and it can be remedied (and prevented for the future) without reinstallation. Someone here will be able to direct you. Don't do anything rash.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

shilmaz wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:29 am I used timeshift for the first time, ...
I’m a bloody n00b, take care, but that sounds to point at the well known Timeshift (TS) quirks (I’d call it a planned failure).
By default settings TS writes backups into the system partition until … -> bang :twisted:

Try to boot from your install (USB) media, start Mint live (my BT mouse won’t work …),
from the Menu start the “Disks” app. Select the drive with your Mint boot partition, mount it (click the small triangle) and check the “Size”.
If more than 98% full -> very bad.

It depends what you did with TS, but you may now start TS from the live session, select the storage partition and then delete the failed snapshot from there.
It should be possible to login again.

Be aware you are one step ahead of disaster!
As @Moem said, using the live session you can always copy important files first …
shilmaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shilmaz »

I'm new to LM so i don't have a lot of files, i tried deleting the snapshot but it didn't work , is there anyway just to access the files and transfer them?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Last edited by Moem on Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Google referrer from a perfectly valid URL.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

Yes, using the live system you can: Use the file manager (Nemo?) as usual to mount and copy, if in doubt, check with Disks to identify drive(s) and partition(s).
Do not copy tons of files (and GB) at once while playing youtube++ a.s.f., it may (will) fail in part.

How much is occupied on your system’s partition?
What means “didn’t work”, how did it fail?
shilmaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shilmaz »

i tried that but i can't access my "private data" , it shows the following (also found some encrypted files) .
what i meant by didn't work that i still can't login .
Screenshot from 2022-11-27 21-13-30.png
and this is my disk partitions.
Screenshot from 2022-11-27 21-24-35.png
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-11-27 21-13-30.png
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

eCryptfs?
Sorry, the only thing I know about encrypted drive/partition/file system is: DO NOT!
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in …
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

See the tutorial. I agree that one shouldn't encrypt.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=315207
Regards,
Deepak

linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Notice from the screenshots that you have plenty of room on the disk in general and the Mint partition in particular.

The other thing I notice is that you seem to have two EFI partitions. That may be what confused Timeshift.

Difficult to help, though, without knowing how you got to where you are now.
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

linux-rox wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:30 pm The other thing I notice is that you seem to have two EFI partitions. That may be what confused Timeshift.
Hmm, I guess
- p1 is the ESP (flags boot, esp ?),
- p2 is the (GPT) required Mi$o System Reserved partition
# This MSR “should” be 100(W7) - 500(W10) MB, but I see it here with 16 MB at a W10 laptop, the absolute minimum,
- p3 is a Win(7 ?) OS,
- p4 is a WinRE (556 MB NTFS),
- p5 the OEM’s recovery boot partition (ESP, flagged hidden, hopefully not boot, esp!).

There seems to be no OEM_Recovery partition (7-20 GB NTFS, factory settings, games), which is strange, but not important. Also the drive labels are strange.

The OEM recovery must be booted using a special key (combination) and will be ignored by Timeshift.

Here is a (not fully conform) W10 example (no Linux OS, /dev/sde4 is Win data drive D:)
W10_GParted.png

Return to “Beginner Questions”