[Solved] Start Terminal Application on Login

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kpickard
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Start Terminal Application on Login

Post by kpickard »

I have a simple Terminal script I am trying to get to run when I log in but without success.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
watch sensors
I tried the approaches described here viewtopic.php?f=90&t=216391 but no luck.

I can get other applications to run on login without issues using Startup Applications but not simple shell scripts like this one. Even though it shows up in the Startup Applications list and the .desktop file also appears in the autostart folder (/home/username/.config/autostart) it does not run when I log in.

I am thinking it has something to do with the fact that it is a Terminal session that I want to keep running but as of yet I have not found a solution.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun May 28, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Start Terminal Application on Login

Post by vimes666 »

Where is the script located?

Edit:
On second thougths, the thing you are trying to do in that script wont work because it needs a terminal to send its output to.
If you are using MATE, put this in the command field of startup applications:

mate-terminal -e 'watch sensors'
If you are using Cinnamon, then use this command:

gnome-terminal --command 'watch sensors'
Then you do not need a seperate script.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
kpickard
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Start Terminal Application on Login

Post by kpickard »

Thank you very much. That worked perfectly.

Return to “Beginner Questions”