2 computers ... same username? [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

2 computers ... same username? [SOLVED]

Post by cecilieaux »

I keep copying stuff from one computer to the other (no useful LAN due to Window$ in the house). When I use a portable drive UI find that the file owner (me) is on another computer with a slightly different name (I had the notion that it would be more secure). This makes use of the file more complicated.

Should I use the same username on both computers?

If so, how do I change one to be identical to the other without messing things up?

Be kind. I'm 70.

Cheerio,
Cecilieaux
Last edited by LockBot on Mon May 29, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint 21 Vera with Cinnamon.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: 2 computers ... same username?

Post by deepakdeshp »

I feel if you are the only uniq user on both machines, having a different names on both machines shouldn't matter. Because for both the uid and gid should be 1000.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

What method do you use to copy from one machine to another?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

deepakdeshp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:49 pm What method do you use to copy from one machine to another?
Just copy using Nemo from Computer A to External Drive to Computer B. Occasionally, I use the Cloud, but I have small free subscriptions.
Cecilieaux
--
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

deepakdeshp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:48 pm I feel if you are the only uniq user on both machines, having a different names on both machines shouldn't matter. Because for both the uid and gid should be 1000.
What sort of problem do you face?
Regards,
Deepak

cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

deepakdeshp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:46 pm
deepakdeshp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:48 pm I feel if you are the only uniq user on both machines, having a different names on both machines shouldn't matter. Because for both the uid and gid should be 1000.
What sort of problem do you face?
Not really a *problem* but it worries me. Some file managers ask for user authorization to move or copy stuff from one to the other.
Cecilieaux
--
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

You shouldn't worry.
Regards,
Deepak

Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Did you set up a second user on one machine? Example. Set up Fred on machine A. Set up Betty on B then Freddy on B. Freddy would have a different user id to Fred. On each machine, run the command:

Code: Select all

id -u
Crito
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Crito »

I usually chmod 777 the drive's root directory from the mount point right after formatting it... or you could just use FAT32/exFAT.
axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Post by axrusar »

Why not network the computers so you use the external drive just for your Backups?
Not clear if you have 2 Linux machines, or the other one is windows, but it does not matter, you can link everything together, the guys here can help.
Describe what systems you are using, OS versions etc.
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Sure you can. Both my wife and I are setup on more than one computer and our usernames are the same on all. Her passwords are the same, some of mine are different. I say 'some' because I have about a dozen vm's of various linux distributions and even W10 and W7. All are set up with the same username. All the computers and all the vm's are networked and can transfer files among each other. Sharing files via usb works just fine, too, although tricky in the vm's.
Coggy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Coggy »

When you copy files between computers, the property that gets transferred (assuming you are using a *nix filesystem that supports the property) is the numeric user id. Users created in Ubuntu based distros usually start at 1000 and work up from there. This means that when you copy a file from one machine to another, and each machine has only one user, the files will appear to be owned by user 1000 regardless of the name assigned to that ID. And in general you need not worry what the usernames are. One caveat to that is that some applications (e.g. LibreOffice) will embed the username (not the userID) in metadata, e.g. who created or updated the document, and you may care about that.

You may run into trouble on machines that have multiple users. Unless you take steps to influence it otherwise, users are allocated the next free ID number when they are created. If you add Alice then Bob to one machine, and Bob then Alice to the other machine, you end up with files owned by Alice on one machine appearing to be owned by Bob on the other machine. I always take care to add my family members in the same order every time I install, to ensure they get the same ID on every machine.

When a user copies a file from USB, the file they create locally gets created being owned by whoever did the copy (unless root does the copy) because users are not allowed to create files that appear to be owned by someone else. This means that the above name confusion can often go un-noticed.

In all, I would probably choose to have the same username on all machines just to avoid confusion. It makes no difference to security either way.

The user ID -> name lookup is generally only stored in files in /etc, and I have successfully changed my username (and group name) with a command like this, although with some fear that I might have missed something important. Changing username Alice to Bob for example:
sudo sed -i 's/\bAlice\b/Bob\b/g' /etc/*

Return to “Beginner Questions”