Change Nemo, Music Pictures Videos to Custom Paths

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viggen66
Level 1
Level 1

Change Nemo, Music Pictures Videos to Custom Paths

Post by viggen66 »

Dear All,

I want to change Nemo aka Files, Music, Pictures folders shortcuts to custom folders, instead of the default ~home\subfolders.

There's was a trick I believe on Ubuntu, that you change those paths on the .config\user-dirs.dirs and it works, but it seems Mint doesn't accept custom folders for Pictures, Movies, Videos.

Is there another way to change those shortcuts paths?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Mon May 29, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Change Nemo, Music Pictures Videos to Custom Paths

Post by Hoser Rob »

viggen66 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:31 pm ... There's was a trick I believe on Ubuntu, that you change those paths on the .config\user-dirs.dirs and it works, but it seems Mint doesn't accept custom folders for Pictures, Movies, Videos....
Please provide a link. It's likely not for Cinnamon and there is a ton of crappy info out there on the web. This sounds very dubious to me, I wouldn't touch it.

There are 3 basic rules for a relatively stress free Linux:

Avoid incompatible hardware.

Use the default repos for software installation unless you have a damn good reason not to, and "I want the newest version" doesn't count.

Do not mess with your system, which is seriously what you're talking about here.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Are you talking about this? https://askubuntu.com/questions/1128914 ... er-of-user

I test it for a while and it still works. Here is my workflow:
0. Make sure the new folder name DOESN'T exist yet
1. Open ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
2. Modify the file path you want to change, for example from XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures" to XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Photos"
3. Save the config file
4. Rename the old folder to new folder name you specified
5. In Nemo, Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks, change also the Bookmark Name for example from Pictures to Photos
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:05 am [...]
The user-dirs.dirs is also utilized by Linux Mint itself after one change the interface language. When one switch language and relogin, the new session will ask the user if they want to change directory names to the new language too.
viggen66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by viggen66 »

Thanks for all the replies, the link provided by billyswong is precisely what I was talking about.

Return to “Beginner Questions”