Language per application

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
UltraMax
Level 1
Level 1

Language per application

Post by UltraMax »

Is there a way to do the following in Mint (like in Ubuntu)
If you go to System Preferences -> Language & Text -> Input Sources, you should have the option to "Allow a different one for each document" under Input source options.
I just want every application to remember the language it used last. E.g. terminal uses English, I switch to Browser and switch language to Russian, then switch to terminal and have English there (not the Russian that was set in browser)?
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Language per application

Post by mikeflan »

I can't even think of an application that lets you pick a language, unless maybe Libre Office allows that.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

It's possible alright. For example, in my Dutch localized system I can launch an app in US English with this terminal command (example involving text editor Xed):

Code: Select all

env LANGUAGE=en_US xed
Modify the command according to your installed languages of preference.

Of course you can also make a dedicated launcher that contains the language command, to make it even easier for the future. The extreme tweakability of Linux is lovable. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

(Please specify the desktop environment next time.)

In Cinnamon, go to Keyboard > Layouts > Allow different layouts for individual windows
In Mate, go to Keyboard > Layouts > Separate layout for each window
In Xfce, right click on Panel > Panel > Add New Items... > Keyboard Layouts (Yeah, extremely unintuitive but the presence and absence of that country flag change the keyboard switching from global to per window and vice versa)

But if your languages are implemented in the form of IME by "Input Method"...
For iBus, go to iBus Preferences > Advanced > (uncheck) Share the same input method among all applications
For Fcitx, go to Fcitx Configuration > Global Config > Share State Among Window: No
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

billyswong wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:14 am In Cinnamon, go to Keyboard > Layouts > Allow different layouts for individual windows
In Xfce, right click on Panel > Panel > Add New Items... > Keyboard Layouts (Yeah, extremely unintuitive but the presence and absence of that country flag change the keyboard switching from global to per window and vice versa)
It's not about the keyboard layout, but about the language used in the application....
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:39 am It's not about the keyboard layout, but about the language used in the application....
If you look at the instruction @UltraMax quoted for "Ubuntu" (Gnome desktop) and the example use case, this thread is definitely about input language, not UI language. The fact that input language setting in Linux Mint variants are labelled keyboard layout doesn't matter.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

billyswong wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:46 am
Pjotr wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:39 am It's not about the keyboard layout, but about the language used in the application....
If you look at the instruction @UltraMax quoted for "Ubuntu" (Gnome desktop) and the example use case, this thread is definitely about input language, not UI language. The fact that input language setting in Linux Mint variants are labelled keyboard layout doesn't matter.
Yes, you may be right. Still, it would be useful if the OP would clarify this.
UltraMax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by UltraMax »

billyswong wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:14 am (Please specify the desktop environment next time.)

In Cinnamon, go to Keyboard > Layouts > Allow different layouts for individual windows

But if your languages are implemented in the form of IME by "Input Method"...
For iBus, go to iBus Preferences > Advanced > (uncheck) Share the same input method among all applications
For Fcitx, go to Fcitx Configuration > Global Config > Share State Among Window: No
Oh yes, This is it, thanks!
I maybe was not ideally correct explaining what I wanted, but yes, this is the thing that I wanted - to have own language per application when you switch to this application
I wonder how I have missed it but again thanks for your help

Ideally, I want to have smth like Punto Switcher for Windows (when application automatically switches the typed language into the correct one based on some logic, but since nothing works correctly in Linux Mint (even xneur) it's good to have a possibility for every application to have the language it used before and not the system one

Return to “Beginner Questions”