Adding a second user to system

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
peterw19
Level 4
Level 4

Adding a second user to system

Post by peterw19 »

Hello, I have Mint running very well on 2 or 3 computers with a single user. I now want to add a second user and give them access to some of the apps I already have installed. What's the best/'correct' way to do this?

Log in as the new user and reinstall the apps (eg Firefox, Thunderbird, SMPlayer)

Log in as the new user and add the apps to their desktop from the Menu/Add to Desktop option.

Something else?

Also, what's the best way to backup a multi-user system. I run BackinTime from the main user (say usera) daily for usera's files. But when I added userb backinTime didn't back up any of their files because of priviledge issues. Should I run the Root version of backinTime, or is there a better solution?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Adding a second user to system

Post by linux-rox »

Open Users & Groups. Create new user. Decide in advance whether they get sudo/admin privileges. If not, you don't even have to give them a password (though you can). No need to install any apps, as those are available to all users anyway.

Can't help with the backup question, as I use rsync (command line), but assume it's relatively simple.

Return to “Beginner Questions”