[Solved] Wall Paper sometimes changes at Boot Up

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Taslimdal
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Wall Paper sometimes changes at Boot Up

Post by Taslimdal »

I have Mint 19.1 Kernel 4.15.0-197 generic Cinnamon 4.0.10 and sometimes at Boot Up the Wall Paper or Desktop Back Ground will change. I found nothing in the Screen Saver Settings or Backgrounds setting relating to changing the Wallpaper or Desktop Background, all I found was "Play Background as Slide Show" and that is Disabled.
Why is my Desktop Background Image changing randomly when there is nothing in any settings causing that? I can easily change it back but it's still annoying that it keeps changing when I don't want it to.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wall Paper sometimes changes at Boot Up

Post by vimes666 »

Are you sure you are the only one using the pc?
Is the image that was replaced residing on a network drive?
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
Taslimdal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Taslimdal »

Yes I'm the only one using the PC and the image is not on a network drive, it's one of the included images.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

In that case I don't know. It can be an application that is doing that, but finding out which one is a bit hard.
What you can do is reset it automatically at the start of the session via 'Startup applications'.
Go to <menu><preferences><startup applications and click 'Add'.
Give it a name so you remember what it is for and use this command in the command field:

Code: Select all

dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/background/picture-uri "'file:///usr/share/backgrounds/linux-mint/tessa/sezgin_lily.jpg'"
and click 'Save'.
You will have to change the code to point to the image of your choice of course. Note that the filename is in 'uri' format. The quotes and apostrophes as well as the file:// part have to be in there.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
Taslimdal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Taslimdal »

That seemed to do the trick, I did a Run Now on it and it change the background to the desired image. Now I'll just have to see if it works after a few reboots.
I had to figure out and change the path name to the file, and after awhile got it to work.

Return to “Beginner Questions”