How to replace Linux in a dual-boot computer?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mmm
Level 4
Level 4

How to replace Linux in a dual-boot computer?

Post by mmm »

Situation: Computer has dual-boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint 21.
Desired: Change Mint 21 to Mint 21.1 beta.

Action taken: Boot live 21.1 beta > Install > Something Else > Deleted the ext4 partition > Installed to that, now empty, space.

Surprise: All my settings are the same as when on Mint 21.
Even the terminal has the same history - and Firefox has all its settings and uBlock Origin.
(I don't think I had installed any programs.)

Questions: Should I have formatted the partition before doing the install?
Should I format and reinstall?
(It wouldn't take long.)
Are there disadvantages of leaving it as it is?
(It does seem a bit messy.)
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: How to replace Linux in a dual-boot computer?

Post by linux-rox »

Yes, you should have ticked the Format box when assigning the mount point(s). No need to delete the partition(s) first, nor even any advantage, unless you want to change their number or size. As for leaving as is, no, you don't want to do that. No way of knowing what conflicts are lurking in the dark.

By the way, what you did is close to a recognized strategy, albeit one with a shady reputation. It's called a "dirty install" and the idea is to preserve home (just as you've noticed) while starting from scratch on the system files. You do this by booting the live session, deleting all folders/directories in the system partition except /home, and then install to the same partition without formatting. Should turn out the same as if you had a separate /home partition. OTOH, most experienced users would say, if you want a /home partition, use one and don't try to get the same thing with a hack.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there is some merit in using the No Format Option,
as you've just done .. it's supposed to be an easier Installation,
and all of your settings are usually preserved, in that existing /home partition.
8)

you could go with an few New Installations, as such,
with this particular method, before you would incur an situation,
where you would prefer to do an actual Clean Installation.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

Going from 21 to 21.1, what's wrong with just doing an update? isn't that the preferred method?
That's what I was planning to do, are there disadvantages to this method?
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Nothing wrong with upgrading from one point release to another "internally".
This path is merely not yet available for 21.1 beta. It takes some tweaks, it is more subtle than what liinux-rox described as "dirty install".

Return to “Beginner Questions”