[SOLVED] Is there a way to see keyboard layout map and remap keys?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hucking
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Is there a way to see keyboard layout map and remap keys?

Post by hucking »

So I got a cheap chromebook today and installed linux mint on it (xfce). That was no issue but the problem I'm having now is I don't know how the keyboard is mapped, I've chosen the chromebook "keyboard model" and layout US but it does not seem to map the same as it does in chromeOS. I was trying for example to turn on or off caps lock and the usual shortcut for that is search + alt but that does not seem to do anything in mint. I also have no idea how to press f11 or f12. Does anyone know some basic shortcuts they can post here or what do I need to do to figure out what those shortcuts are by default (if they exist at all) and re-map them or make new ones. the keyboard looks like this for the record: Image
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hucking
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Is there a way to see keyboard layout map and remap keys?

Post by hucking »

ok just by messing around i figured out that i can use caps lock with AltGr + search but i still haven't realized how to use f11 or f12 and in general would be nice to know all shortcuts.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

hucking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hucking »

mikeflan wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:37 pm Does this help:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/change-k ... inux/#xfce
It did not, for some reason every tool I tried to use to remap keys has failed me but I did eventually stumble on to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalliumOS/comm ... nd_debian/
https://wiki.galliumos.org/Media_keys_a ... eybindings

If anyone else has this issue I would recommend checking that reddit post and installing via binary and then choose Chromebook (most models) | Search Overlay | F keys mapped to media keys

I did notice however sometimes the search button stops it's default behaviour so you cannot use it to open up the start menu but otherwise it works great. I might try to add some custom key mapping to like ctrl + search to open up start menu or something tho.
EDIT: I was able to do this by going in the keyboard app and adding an application shortcut for it.

Note that this will also change default behaviour from alt+backspace being delete to search + backpsace and caps lock is still the same key combo but u need to press it in the reverse order now lol.

all the key shortcuts are in the wiki page anyway.

Return to “Beginner Questions”