Warpinator - Package or Flathub?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mmm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mmm »

What's the difference?
And which is more likely to work?
I have MINT 21.1 cinnamon on all machines now.
Some cable connected to router; some via wifi.
Last time I tried Warpinator it was sometimes worked, sometimes not.
No discernible pattern of behaviour.
Should I use terminal to" sudo apt purge warpinator", if that command is correct?
What would you advise as more likely to work well?
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Warpinator - Package or Flathub?

Post by ThaCrip »

Warpinator is already installed by default on Mint 21.1. no need to really do anything.

if you enable firewall you will have to tweak it in the Warpinator options to get it to see other PC's but other than that it pretty much 'just works'.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

The settings in warpinator that comes with LM21.1 are different. In that I mean the Group Code settings are different. Secure mode will be selected as OFF, until you change the code name with another name. The version used in LM20.1 not sure with LM21 is that it doesn't recognize the default setting of Warpinator. For some unknown reason you have to change the name to something else and you have to do that on ALL computers that have have LM20 or later.
The old version of warpinator for windows lo longer works when trying to connect, I just updated the windows version to Winpinator before it now detects each other.
There was a warpinator update the other day for LM, so I don't know whether that has been addressed. Just checked on my LM21.1 and the problem has not been addressed.
mmm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mmm »

I have experimented, with interesting results, which I intend to record clearly, and perhaps post here.

In Software Manager two instances of Warpinator are listed:

Package
1.4.4+victoria
11 MB of disk space
3.9 / 5

Flatpak (Flathub)
1 GB to download, 3.3 GB of disk space required
4.0 / 5

Both seem to be the same version.
Why would anyone use the Flatpak when it is so demanding of resources?
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

On Mint 21.x specifically, I don't think anyone would want to use the flatpak version, unless they are using it to tailor some of the possible sandbox features or something.

But if you have Mint 19.x, or Ubuntu, or some other system then it's a good candidate.

The flatpak version is only there because flathub is one of the default software sources, and since Warpinator is also provided as a flatpak, then this is shown as available, you are free to use any version, or both. On an earlier Mint version I checked earlier and there was 2 versions in the default repo for Warpinator(non-flatpak), that 1.4.4 version and some earlier version, which I guess you could use if you wanted to or had some specific reasoning for it.

There is not any specific magic meaning behind them both being available, given the provided software sources.
mmm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mmm »

Warpinator seems to be working now, in that each of five machines can see the other four.

In the Warpinator window, down at the extreme bottom right there is the IP address of the machine.
In front of the IP address is a string of characters then a vertical bar, like this:

<some alphanumeric string>space<vertical line>space<LAN IP>

What is the alphanumeric string about?
It is different between computers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”