[SOLVED] Directory listing garbage

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
regmar
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Directory listing garbage

Post by regmar »

I installed nomacs (image viewer) and when I open up a directory to see the content, "Date Modified" column shows garbage. I first thought it was related to my locale so I tried "LC_ALL=C nomacs" without success. The same happens with kid3 tag manager. Funny enough, I do not have the issue with ksnip neither with nemo. I booted from a Live LM 21.1 Cinnamon, installed nomacs and the Date Modified column displays fine. Definitely something wrong with my system. Any suggestions on where to look?

nomacs.png
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Cinnamon - Intel NUC11
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Directory listing garbage

Post by karlchen »

Hello, regmar.

Please, share your Linux Mint System Information with us.
The Linux Mint System Information will reveal some relevant details about your graphic card and the video driver software, which your Mint system uses.
Maybe this will give a hint, what may cause the artefacts, which you see on your screen.
The step how to share your Linux Mint System Information can be found in this post e.g.: How to post your Linux Mint System Information (inxi report)

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED] Directory listing garbage

Post by karlchen »

Hello, regmar.

3 min. after my post above had been submitted, you marked your thread as solved.
Yet, I had not offered any solution.
Your post does not hold any solution.
So what is the reason for marking your thread as [solved]? And what is the solution?

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
regmar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by regmar »

After digging more, the culprit is ~/.config/qt5ct/qt5ct.conf. Under [Appearance] I replaced style=gtk2 to style=cleanlooks with qt5ct tool et voilà, no garbage anymore.
Mint 21.3 Cinnamon - Intel NUC11
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, regmar.

Congratulation for solving your own problem. And thank you very much for sharing your solution with us. Not unlikely it will help other experiencing a similar / the same problem as you.

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline

Return to “Beginner Questions”