I accidentally installed malware. How to scan and delete it?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stupid newb
Level 1
Level 1

I accidentally installed malware. How to scan and delete it?

Post by Stupid newb »

Yep, thought I was being asked about a file extension and didn't read it properly since I was BUSY LOOKING AT <violates forum rules> and now I'm getting popups telling me to clean my device and don't share this photo with anyone.

I skimmed through system monitor but I don't know enough about what should be there to recognise what shouldn't. Is there a tool to rainbows my device or am I looking at a reinstall?
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: I accidentally installed malware. How to scan and delete it?

Post by Pierre »

Hi there,
welcome to our forum.
:)

do tell us something about your machine:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=318644
copy the results of that, back here, on your reply.

NB: it would be prudent .. to contact the Forum.Admin.Team .. to get your Forum.User.Name
- - changed - -
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Probably a rogue web browser add-on / extension. Try removing it. When no success, backup your bookmarks and simply nuke the entire existing web browser profile in your personal folder. That should suffice.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Or it might just be a "notification".

For Firefox anyway, in Settings - Privacy and security, further down is Permissions and there's one for Notifications. This is where you allow a random site to spam you, or you could use it to get legitimate interesting news points or something from a site you actually have interest in.
Stupid newb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stupid newb »

zcot wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:02 am Or it might just be a "notification".

For Firefox anyway, in Settings - Privacy and security, further down is Permissions and there's one for Notifications. This is where you allow a random site to spam you, or you could use it to get legitimate interesting news points or something from a site you actually have interest in.
Thanks, this was it. Easy fix gracias

I can't see the option to edit the title, only the body text. The Blue text in the autopost is not an active link to tell you how to edit? But anyway this is solved.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

IF,

you run Timeshift, you can just back up to Yesterday and Poof!!! it is gone.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:55 am IF,

you run Timeshift, you can just back up to Yesterday and Poof!!! it is gone.
It is not true. User settings are stored in the home folder and Timeshift does not change them. This is also true for the browser. Timeshift restores only the system, if the default settings have not been changed.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Stupid newb wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:40 amI can't see the option to edit the title, only the body text. The Blue text in the autopost is not an active link to tell you how to edit? But anyway this is solved.
Please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue. (animated gif courtesy of user BJZilberman)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”