How to open zip file - Spam blocker software NOOB question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
celticwarrior

How to open zip file - Spam blocker software NOOB question

Post by celticwarrior »

Hey,

I downloaded this .zip file from sourceforge.net but don't know how to decompress or open it.

Anti-Spam SMTP Proxy Server is what it's called. Very sure it's compatible with debian and ubuntu based OS.

please help.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How to open zip file - Spam blocker software NOOB question

Post by mikeflan »

don't know how to decompress or open it.
Normally you just double click on it and it will open in Archive Manager.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

celticwarrior wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:54 pm I downloaded this .zip file from sourceforge.net but don't know how to decompress or open it.
Linux Mint comes with 2 compressed File Managers installed:
- file-roller (called "Compressed File Manager)
- xarchiver
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

I just right click on a zip file and it comes up with an invitation to decompress here
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

https://sourceforge.net/projects/assp/ doesn't look like a NOOB-friendly software to me.

If you can stumble on really simple stuff such as "how to open zip file", maybe you shall elaborate more on what's your ultimate objective in installing that software. Then we can take a look if the software you are trying to install is what suit your need, or if there are better-fitting solution.
celticwarrior

Post by celticwarrior »

I need it to block spam e-mail as there's no linux OS friendly spam blockers other than that.
Just need to block spam e-mails, so the other party receives message like: "the e-mail doesn't exist"
something to bounce the e-mail back to sender.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Thunderbird has spam filter built-in. Evolution uses SpamAssassin. Unless you are hosting a mail server and want to block spam/fraud email for your clients, I don't see why you want a 3rd party spam blocker. Even if you are indeed hosting a mail server yourself, I would look for a spam filter that is long known to integrate with that mail server software, rather than running a proxy, but that's just me.

p.s. Personally I am against any bouncing back to sender. If it is not done perfectly, the bounce will become a hint for the spam sender "Hi, this email address is real~", totally opposite of what you want. In my opinion, bounce messages from spam filter are for legitimate senders to know their emails have been flagged a false positive, so they can contact their target and arrange an alternative way to transmit the content.
celticwarrior

Post by celticwarrior »

what exactly is Spam Assassin or Evolution if I may ask?
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Evolution is an e-mail program like Thunderbird.
It is listed in Software Manager.

Return to “Beginner Questions”