Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.1: daemons using outdated libraries installing updates and services to restart

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markinson
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.1: daemons using outdated libraries installing updates and services to restart

Post by markinson »

Hello everyone! I hope I posted in the correct forum section. :oops:

This is my question.
Since I upgraded from Linux Mint 20.3 to 21.1, after launching "Update Manager", during the installation of the detected updates, it sometimes happens that I get the message: "Daemons using outdated libraries".
As shown in the following image.
Screenshot from 2023-02-02 15-55-35.png
In the latter case the affected services, to be restarted, were "lightdm.service" and "userAT1000.service".
However, the aforementioned services are not always the ones to be restarted.
I can close the window and not select the indicated services and nothing happens. If instead I put the check mark on the services to be restarted and click on the "Next" button, the system returns to the login screen.

I also found and read this (old) article: "Daemons using outdated libraries | Restart Services in Ubuntu"

I would like to receive your suggestion or advice on this matter.
Thank you so much in advance for your attention!
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Facesti come quei che va di notte, che porta il lume dietro e sé non giova, ma dopo sé fa le persone dotte"
Dante (Purgatorio, Canto XXII)
markinson
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.1: daemons using outdated libraries installing updates and services to restart

Post by markinson »

Something more ...

I just received another time the message "Daemons using outdated libraries" during update and the services to restart were the same I described above.

I have found this too: "How to stop ubuntu pop-up "Daemons using outdated libraries" when using apt to install or update packages? [closed]"

I checked and my needrestart.conf it's set to "$nrconf{restart} = 'i';".

Thank you for your help and suggestions!
"Facesti come quei che va di notte, che porta il lume dietro e sé non giova, ma dopo sé fa le persone dotte"
markinson
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.1: daemons using outdated libraries installing updates and services to restart

Post by markinson »

I really really really apologize for the insistence, :oops: but this problem is bugging me. :cry:

Is anyone having this type of problem, I mean the need to restart one or more services after the updates?

Thanks for your attention and sorry again for this new post.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

markinson wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:21 pm I really really really apologize for the insistence, :oops: but this problem is bugging me. :cry:

Is anyone having this type of problem, I mean the need to restart one or more services after the updates?

Thanks for your attention and sorry again for this new post.
Please explain how you upgradee from Linux Mint 20.3 to 21.1.

Also, open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click Copy, and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
markinson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markinson »

First of all, thank you so much for your patience, understanding and support, no matter how it turns out at the end!

I'll go for step by step.
SMG wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:45 pm Please explain how you upgradee from Linux Mint 20.3 to 21.1.
To upgrade from version 20.3 to 21 I followed the guide "How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21".
So, once this upgrade was done, via "Update Manager" I successively and further updated to the latest 21.1 version.
SMG wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:45 pm Also, open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click Copy, and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
Finally, here is the result of the "copy and paste" of my "System Information".

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-58-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.6.7
    tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq 6530b (GB974ET#ABZ) v: F.0D
    serial: <superuser required> Chassis: type: 10 serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 30DD v: KBC Version 96.19 serial: <superuser required>
    BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68PDD Ver. F.0D date: 03/19/2009
CPU:
  Info: dual core model: Intel Core2 Duo P8400 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Yorkfield rev: 6
    cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 3 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 2330 high: 2369 min/max: 800/2267 cores: 1: 2291 2: 2369 bogomips: 9043
  Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915
    v: kernel ports: active: LVDS-1 empty: DP-1, DP-2, HDMI-A-1, SVIDEO-1, VGA-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0
    chip-ID: 8086:2a42
  Device-2: Chicony CKF7037 HP webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-5:4
    chip-ID: 04f2:b059
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
    gpu: i915 display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1280x800 s-dpi: 96
  Monitor-1: LVDS-1 model: AU Optronics res: 1280x800 dpi: 107 diag: 358mm (14.1")
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Mobile Intel GM45 Express (CTG) v: 2.1 Mesa 22.2.5 direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:293e
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-58-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network driver: iwlwifi v: kernel pcie:
    speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:4237
  IF: wls1 state: up mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Broadcom NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    driver: tg3 v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: N/A bus-ID: 85:00.0
    chip-ID: 14e4:1693
  IF: ens5 state: down mac: <filter>
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: HP Bluetooth 2.0 Interface [Broadcom BCM2045] type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8
    bus-ID: 3-1:2 chip-ID: 03f0:171d
  Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 1 state: down bt-service: enabled,running rfk-block:
    hardware: no software: yes address: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 111.79 GiB used: 90.5 GiB (81.0%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 840 EVO 120GB size: 111.79 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s
    serial: <filter>
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 106.56 GiB used: 89.33 GiB (83.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0 mapped: mint--vg-root
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 2.93 GiB used: 1.18 GiB (40.3%) priority: -2 dev: /dev/dm-1
    mapped: mint--vg-swap_1
USB:
  Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 6 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0002
  Device-1: 1-5:4 info: Chicony CKF7037 HP webcam type: Video driver: uvcvideo rev: 2.0
    speed: 480 Mb/s chip-ID: 04f2:b059
  Hub-2: 2-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 6 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0002
  Hub-3: 3-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0001
  Device-1: 3-1:2 info: HP Bluetooth 2.0 Interface [Broadcom BCM2045] type: Bluetooth
    driver: btusb rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 03f0:171d
  Hub-4: 4-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0001
  Device-1: 4-1:2 info: AuthenTec AES2810 type: <vendor specific> driver: N/A rev: 2.0
    speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 08ff:2810
  Hub-5: 5-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0001
  Hub-6: 6-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0001
  Device-1: 6-2:2 info: Darfon Optical Mouse type: Mouse driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 1.1
    speed: 1.5 Mb/s chip-ID: 0d62:a100
  Hub-7: 7-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0001
  Hub-8: 8-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0001
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 58.0 C mobo: 35.0 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Repos:
  Packages: apt: 3419
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
    1: deb https: //dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com vera main upstream import backport
    2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main restricted universe multiverse
    3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-security main restricted universe multiverse
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/skype-stable.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64] https: //repo.skype.com/deb stable main
Info:
  Processes: 236 Uptime: 5m Memory: 2.84 GiB used: 2.33 GiB (81.9%) Init: systemd v: 249
  runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 11.3.0 alt: 11/12/7/9 Client: Unknown python3.10 client inxi: 3.3.13
Thanks again and heartily! :wink:
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

markinson wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:24 amTo upgrade from version 20.3 to 21 I followed the guide "How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21".
So, once this upgrade was done, via "Update Manager" I successively and further updated to the latest 21.1 version.
The inxi output you posted appears to indicate everything updated. What version of Update Manager does your system currently have? You can click Help > About in the GUI to get the version number.

If you open Synaptic Package Manager and click Custom Filters in the lower left, is there anything listed for the "Broken" option (just above the buttons on the left)?

The only guess I have at this point is somehow the drive encryption might be a factor in whatever the issue might be? I'm not sure why you are seeing the message.

Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 106.56 GiB used: 89.33 GiB (83.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0 mapped: mint--vg-root
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 2.93 GiB used: 1.18 GiB (40.3%) priority: -2 dev: /dev/dm-1
markinson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markinson »

SMG, thank you in particular for your time and for the discussion you are giving me.

Besides the fact that I'm new to the Linux world, I also find it difficult with the English language, but I'll try to explain myself anyway. :oops:
SMG wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:32 pm What version of Update Manager does your system currently have? You can click Help > About in the GUI to get the version number.
First, the version of my mintUpdate is 5.9.7, recently updated.
SMG wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:32 pm If you open Synaptic Package Manager and click Custom Filters in the lower left, is there anything listed for the "Broken" option (just above the buttons on the left)?
I had tried and checked that way: no broken packages.
SMG wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:32 pm The only guess I have at this point is somehow the drive encryption might be a factor in whatever the issue might be? I'm not sure why you are seeing the message.

Partition:
Swap:
I don't understand this passage ... sorry! Anyway, I suppose it's something came out after upgrade to 21.1.

It's as if in my Linux Mint, and only in mine!, after the update to version 21.1 the way of managing updates in general has changed.
For example, tonight I was offered a kernel upgrade, from version 5.15.0-58.64 to version 5.15.0-60.66.
After the update, before obviously asking me to restart correctly, the following window appeared.
Screenshot from 2023-02-09 17-28-16.png
A window that before, in version 20.3, but also in previous editions of Linux Mint, had never appeared!
After I clicked "Next" the window disappeared and I was back to Update Manager, telling me to restart as soon as possibile.

I really don't know ... do you think it's possible something concerning LM 21.1? On Github, which I really know very little, it could be interesting to post this "issue"?

Thank you so much, as usual!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

markinson wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:51 pmFirst, the version of my mintUpdate is 5.9.7, recently updated.
You have the most recent version.
markinson wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:51 pm
SMG wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:32 pm The only guess I have at this point is somehow the drive encryption might be a factor in whatever the issue might be? I'm not sure why you are seeing the message.

Partition:
Swap:
I don't understand this passage ... sorry! Anyway, I suppose it's something came out after upgrade to 21.1.
I want to know if your system is encrypted. Did you select the option to encrypt your Linux Mint when you first installed it?

If your system was encrypted before you upgraded, nothing in the upgrade process would change that.
markinson wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:51 pmIt's as if in my Linux Mint, and only in mine!, after the update to version 21.1 the way of managing updates in general has changed.
For example, tonight I was offered a kernel upgrade, from version 5.15.0-58.64 to version 5.15.0-60.66.
After the update, before obviously asking me to restart correctly, the following window appeared.
Screenshot from 2023-02-09 17-28-16.png
A window that before, in version 20.3, but also in previous editions of Linux Mint, had never appeared!
After I clicked "Next" the window disappeared and I was back to Update Manager, telling me to restart as soon as possibile.

I really don't know ... do you think it's possible something concerning LM 21.1?
I think something happened when you upgraded. Did you take a Timeshift snapshot of your system before you upgraded?
markinson wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:51 pm On Github, which I really know very little, it could be interesting to post this "issue"?
The process is to troubleshoot the issue here on the forum first to determine if it is a bug. If it appears to be a bug, then you would report it on Github.
markinson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markinson »

I apologize for the delay in responding, but unfortunately a bad flu has come and things have gotten complicated!

SMG wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:12 pm I want to know if your system is encrypted. Did you select the option to encrypt your Linux Mint when you first installed it?

If your system was encrypted before you upgraded, nothing in the upgrade process would change that.
I honestly don't remember. However, it doesn't seem to me that I encrypted the filesystem when I installed Linux Mint. Before answering I tried to search on internet, but I haven't been able to figure out, in a simple manner, how to check if my filesystem is encrypted or not.
SMG wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:12 pm I think something happened when you upgraded. Did you take a Timeshift snapshot of your system before you upgraded?
Yes, I did it, but I prefer not to go back in time by TimeShift. I would like to experiment before some solutions indeed, to increase my knowing of Linux Mint ... and English, too (for example: how to verify if an entire filesystem is encrypted).
SMG wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:12 pm If it appears to be a bug, then you would report it on Github.
Ok, I understand.
Now I've done a little bit modify to the update settings ... very little and probably not significant, but since that I didn't receive the windows I described above during recent updates.
Anyway I prefer to wait before to tell about this, because I want check if the problem solved and if it's a probably bug.
markinson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markinson »

Nothing to do ... :(
This was the preference I had changed: "Update Manager - Edit - Preferences - Automation - Apply updates automatically" > disabled.

I hoped changing that preference could do something ... nothing. This afternoon the window asking me which services to restart reappeared.
So I clicked "Next", without any services selected. The system didn't restart, but if I check which services need to be restarted by typing "sudo needrestart -u NeedRestart::UI::stdio -r l" (from terminal), I have those services under "Service restarts being deferred:".

I really don't know ...
markinson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markinson »

Something more ...
Reading the articles which linked above, I searched and found the file "needrestart.conf", under /etc/needrestart (very strange: in another computer with Linux Mint 21.1 I haven't this directory ...).

I was thinking that, after upgrading from 20.3 to 21.1, every time I update the system it is too chatty (verbose) about what to do or not, in particular about services, but upgrading the kernel too.
So I inspected the "needrestar.conf" file and I found this section (at the top):

# Verbosity:
#  0 => quiet
#  1 => normal (default)
#  2 => verbose
#$nrconf{verbosity} = 2;
It was "verbose"!
So, now I have decided to switch to "1" as default, instead of "2".

I'll see ...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

markinson wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:43 am I apologize for the delay in responding, but unfortunately a bad flu has come and things have gotten complicated!
I hope you are now feeling better.
markinson wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:43 amI honestly don't remember. However, it doesn't seem to me that I encrypted the filesystem when I installed Linux Mint. Before answering I tried to search on internet, but I haven't been able to figure out, in a simple manner, how to check if my filesystem is encrypted or not.
What is the output of

blkid
markinson wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:26 pmReading the articles which linked above, I searched and found the file "needrestart.conf", under /etc/needrestart (very strange: in another computer with Linux Mint 21.1 I haven't this directory ...).
I don't have that file on my LM20.3 install nor do I see it on a live session of LM21.1. I do not know what you might have installed which pulled in that file.

Do you remember what version of Linux Mint you originally installed on your computer?
markinson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markinson »

SMG wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:53 pm I hope you are now feeling better.
Thank you, you're very kind! Still not so well, unfortunately.
SMG wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:53 pm What is the output of

blkid
Using blkid I obtain, in short, "TYPE="ext4". So no encryption for me.
SMG wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:53 pm Do you remember what version of Linux Mint you originally installed on your computer?
In this computer I came from Linux Mint Tara, so I suppose 19.0.
In the other, where I don't find "needrestart.conf", it's from 20.0 directly.

Thank you once again for your help!
markinson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markinson »

SMG wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:53 pm
markinson wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:26 pmReading the articles which linked above, I searched and found the file "needrestart.conf", under /etc/needrestart (very strange: in another computer with Linux Mint 21.1 I haven't this directory ...).
I don't have that file on my LM20.3 install nor do I see it on a live session of LM21.1. I do not know what you might have installed which pulled in that file.
This thing intrigued me and after a troubled night due to the flu, this morning I wanted to learn more.
Why is there no "needrestart" on your computer? Why is it not even present on my second computer always with Linux Mint 21.1?

Well, entering the "Synaptic Package Manager" and looking for "needrestart" I realized that it is a simple package that can be installed on our computer.
I don't remember ever doing it, but the solution to it is soon found! :)
markinson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markinson »

Damn, it didn't work! :cry:
The window asking me to restart the services reappeared again.

Now I've changed to this other section of the "needrestart.conf" file:

# Restart mode: (l)ist only, (i)nteractive or (a)utomatically.
#
# ATTENTION: If needrestart is configured to run in interactive mode but is run
# non-interactive (i.e. unattended-upgrades) it will fallback to list only mode.
#
#$nrconf{restart} = 'i';
changing "#$nrconf{restart}" from "i" to "a".

We'll see, but I'm not holding out hope... I really don't know how to do ...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

markinson wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:12 amNow I've changed to this other section of the "needrestart.conf" file:

# Restart mode: (l)ist only, (i)nteractive or (a)utomatically.
#
# ATTENTION: If needrestart is configured to run in interactive mode but is run
# non-interactive (i.e. unattended-upgrades) it will fallback to list only mode.
#
#$nrconf{restart} = 'i';
changing "#$nrconf{restart}" from "i" to "a".

We'll see, but I'm not holding out hope... I really don't know how to do ...
If what you posted is what is in the file, your change will have no effect.
The # at the beginning of the line means it is a comment and that line will not be executed at all. It doesn't matter what letter you put in it.
markinson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markinson »

SMG wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:06 am The # at the beginning of the line means it is a comment and that line will not be executed at all. It doesn't matter what letter you put in it.
You're right, I was in doubt about this indeed, but I thought that the "mix" #$ could operate in some different manner.
So, what do you advice to me?
To change, for example, from "#$nrconf{verbosity} = 1;" to "$nrconf{verbosity} = 1;"? ... I mean starting with "$"?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

I am not familiar with the needrestart program, or why you have it installed, so I do not have any recommendations for making changes to it.
markinson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markinson »

No problem! Thank you very very much for your time and patience!

I have found (here, for example) that it's necessary ...
changing the line:

#$nrconf{restart} = 'i';

to

$nrconf{restart} = 'a'; (if we want to restart the services automatically)
or
$nrconf{restart} = 'l'; to simply list the services that need restart.
So, I'll try ... and possibility I'll be back to report my experience.

I'm considering a re-installation of Linux Mint 21.1, I mean similar to Windows 10 and 11 in-place upgrade-install, but I don't feel so comfortable in Linux world ...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

markinson wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:23 pmI'm considering a re-installation of Linux Mint 21.1, I mean similar to Windows 10 and 11 in-place upgrade-install
I don't know what a Windows 10 upgrade-install means. Upgrading and installing are two different processes.

Return to “Beginner Questions”