System not working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
quark
Level 1
Level 1

System not working

Post by quark »

tl;dr When I boot I get the LM logo and background and nothing else. Mouse moves cursor. ctrl-alt-del gets a restart-logout-cancel choice. If I logout I get a box to enter my password, then it goes back to LM logo and background. What to do?

Everything was working fine on m LM laptop yesterday. I closed the lid at night. Today when I opened the lid the screen was almost black. I power cycled and could almost see the prompt to enter a power on password, then after entering it and waiting a while could almost see the LM logo.

The laptop has a function key combination to increase screen brightness, but that doesn't do anything.

I connected an external monitor. Now when I reboot I can almost see the prompt for power on password on the laptop, enter it and the next thing I see is the LM logo on the external monitor. I don't see the bios menu to choose a boot device, so I can't try a USB stick, and I don't see the GRUB menu to choose windows or linux.

Suggestions for fixing this would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JTJersey
Level 3
Level 3

Re: System not working

Post by JTJersey »

Sounds like maybe a hardware issue. May be time for a new laptop.
Catsbark
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Catsbark »

If you remember the function key to bring up the boot options menu (It's F12 on my Dell.) try pressing and holding that key as soon as you see the manufacturer's logo in the middle of the screen after power-up. That might give you the menu and you can boot from your Install/Live Session USB even though the on-screen prompt is disabled.

Good luck.
Catsbark
Dell Inspiron 15; AMD Ryzen 5; LM 20.3 Cinnamon
"A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." - Douglas Adams
quark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by quark »

JTJersey wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:35 pm Sounds like maybe a hardware issue. May be time for a new laptop.
The laptop screen could easilybe a hardware issue, but I don't understand what kind of hardware issue would have the system show the logo, have a working mouse and keyboard and bring up a login prompt.
quark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by quark »

Catsbark wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:37 pm If you remember the function key to bring up the boot options menu (It's F12 on my Dell.) try pressing and holding that key as soon as you see the manufacturer's logo in the middle of the screen after power-up. That might give you the menu and you can boot from your Install/Live Session USB even though the on-screen prompt is disabled.

Good luck.
I don't even get a manufacturer's logo. I have tried the function key for the boot options and don't see anything on either the laptop screen or internal monitor. It could be bringing up the boot options, but if so they are not visible on either laptop screen or external monitor.

I don't understand how I can be getting the Mint logo & background, a mouse and the ability to restart or logout and then log back in, but nothing else. I can understand nothing working, but not this.
eltopia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eltopia »

similar problem.
20.3 was working fine yesterday.
Asus laptop
Today Login screen come up and I typed in my password looks like its working but soon password screen pops up again.
I can boot to windows and every thing works fine.
eltopia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eltopia »

Also I installed all updates yesterday
I don't know what they were I installed what ever came up
eltopia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eltopia »

When I type wrong password it says invalid password
No such comes up now when I type correct password Just the log in screen
top right hand corner is a quit button I have to use to reboot
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Code: Select all

Also I installed all updates yesterday
Timeshift might fix the problem.
I don't know what they were I installed what ever came up
Start Update Manager and View - History of Updates.
eltopia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eltopia »

How can I open time shift or update manager when I can't get past sign on screen?
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Del, F12 or whatever key your laptop's manual says to enter BIOS setup or boot manager.
If you enter BIOS and are able to load a live session successfully, you can eliminate -more or less- hardware failings.

When you close the lid, does your laptop go to sleep mode?
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

eltopia wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:38 am How can I open time shift or update manager when I can't get past sign on screen?
You can access Timeshift from your Mint install media.
eltopia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eltopia »

I thought I posted a reply So forgive me if this has been posted
I have a boot menu and booted to recovery mood
I scrolled down the page halfway and booted to recovery mood
A menu with 6 options came up
I went through menu
The one about deleting came up and deleted many many entries
Rebooted and everything seems to work
I don't know which one of the options worked since I did them all
However Firefox now takes 65 seconds to open, after opening everything seems to work at normal speed
Thanks all
eltopia99330
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eltopia99330 »

Solved
System is working now
Firefox seems normal now

Return to “Beginner Questions”