Change directory command

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
curious
Level 1
Level 1

Change directory command

Post by curious »

Hi,

I wish to have the terminal change the directory to the reaper one shown on the right. I tried a bunch of different versions of the cd command but
it didn't work out. If someone could show me what the proper command is, then I could reverse engineer and learn.

Thanks
Attachments
reaper directory.png
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Change directory command

Post by zcot »

on terminal, type: cd /rea [now press the TAB key for autocomplete, then ENTER]

that assumes the reaper_linux_x86_64 directory is located on the root of the file system, which it appears that way based on that file manager view.

You need the initial / in that case. If that directory was located within the current user home directory tree, which is where the default location is already shown on terminal( yavor@yav-office:~$ -the ~ signifies the base user home directory position) then you would not need the initial /, because that would be a relative directory position, not an absolute position, as noted by using the initial /.

~ translates to the default user home directory position, and the absolute path of that would be /home/yavor/.

Alternately, and this is not really the normal functional way to approach this, you could issue the following 2 commands:
cd /(now you are at the base of the entire file system)
cd rea[press TAB here for autocomplete](you will note the absence of the leading slash on that path)
Wakatakakage
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Wakatakakage »

The image shows that the user is trying to expand a tar file. In all likelihood, this tar file was downloaded into their ~/Downloads directory.

You must first extract the archive from the tar file, and then you will be able to cd into the directory as you expect.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Wakatakakage wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:23 am The image shows
:shock:

LOL!

I don't know how I completely saw a file browser sitting at that directory on the base of the system. And I questioned the naming of that folder more than once, pretty specific, but still I never saw it. Even with the obvious "Extract" button.

cd Dow[press the TAB key]reap[use TAB again]
the terminal will show: yavor@yav-office:~Downloads/reaper_linux_x86_64$
ls to list the files in that location.

Return to “Beginner Questions”