LM 21.1 - Disable Flatpak Update in Update Manager?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dmfw
Level 1
Level 1

LM 21.1 - Disable Flatpak Update in Update Manager?

Post by dmfw »

Is there a way, under Mint 21.1, to Disable Flatpak Updates in Update Manager? I searched for an App. option but could not see one. I like to update via. the command line.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: LM 21.1 - Disable Flatpak Update in Update Manager?

Post by all41 »

Update Manager/Edit/Preferences can't you just deselect this?
I also remove the repository:
sudo flatpak remote-delete flathub
just me though
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
nosey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nosey »

I also prefer doing manual updates for flatpaks, also because they tend to be very huge and use a lot of bandwidth.

There is no such option under Manager/Edit/Preferences
In my opinion, it should be added.

The way I did it is right-clicking on all flatpak updates in the Update Manager main window, and disabling the updates one by one.
They thus appear in the "Blacklist", and can be enabled again, if so desired.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

nosey wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:37 amThere is no such option under Manager/Edit/Preferences
In my opinion, it should be added.
There is no longer an option on the Automation tab in Preferences related to flatpaks?

I do not have an LM21.1 install up right now to check, but I was not aware they removed the option. I thought they just changed the default.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

SMG wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:36 pm ... an option on the Automation tab
Pretty sure the OP and nosy are talking about regular updates, not automated ones.

dmfw, one workaround would be to do both forms of update in Terminal. Pretty easy, actually, if you're comfortable with Terminal. You could still use Update Manager to manage kernels, if you like.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

linux-rox wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:19 pm
SMG wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:36 pm ... an option on the Automation tab
Pretty sure the OP and nosy are talking about regular updates, not automated ones.
For regular updates, all one has to do is uncheck the box so they are not updated, especially if one just needs to wait until a specific time to do a large update.

I am not aware of there being a size difference in updating through the terminal versus updating through Update Manager, so just unselect all the updates and and select the ones which are not flatpaks and run Update Manager.

Perhaps there is something about the request I am not understanding.
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

When automation preference "Update Flatpaks automatically" is ticked off, Update Manager still pulls Flatpak related into updates. For me it's typically Org.gnome.platform package.

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=389993&p=2286560&h ... n#p2286560
4th post up from the bottom. "Update Manager removes old runtimes when automatic installation of flatpaks is enabled, but not when that is disabled. This is something that has the attention of developers to probably change in a future Update Manager version, so it will always remove unused old runtimes automatically. But the flatpak update command take care of that, see my last answer below. You can however at any time run flatpak uninstall --unused to remove any no longer needed runtimes."

-Thanks
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

SMG wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:36 pm ... all one has to do is uncheck the box so they are not updated
Agreed that will work, but not appealing. Have to scan the list, which is in a wonky order and uses inscrutable package names. If I had this issue (I don't use Flatpaks, but wouldn't want them in UM either), I'd either use blacklist (as nosey suggests) or update everything in Terminal.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Those who are wanting to turn off the functionality which was added in LM21.1 can add their request for a feature change in the linuxmint / mintupdate : Issues and provide your justification as to why you think the change should be made. I am not aware that we have an option to do a blanket disable of updates for any other software so I do not know how easy/difficult that type of change would be.

I don't use flatpaks, but it was my understanding they were previously updated in a separate application? (I could be wrong about that.)

Per Clem the change was made because, "This allows Flatpak applications and runtimes to be updated like any other supported types of software."
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

SMG wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:12 pm Those who are wanting to turn off the functionality which was added in LM21.1 can add their request for a feature change in the linuxmint / mintupdate : Issues and provide your justification as to why you think the change should be made. I am not aware that we have an option to do a blanket disable of updates for any other software so I do not know how easy/difficult that type of change would be.

I don't use flatpaks, but it was my understanding they were previously updated in a separate application? (I could be wrong about that.)

Per Clem the change was made because, "This allows Flatpak applications and runtimes to be updated like any other supported types of software."
Prohibit flatpak automatic updates:

Code: Select all

Re-enable flatpak updates to get your updates:

sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
get your updates then delete the remote till next time
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

all41 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:45 pmProhibit flatpak automatic updates:

Re-enable flatpak updates to get your updates:

sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
get your updates then delete the remote till next time
Doesn't that also prevent getting new flatpaks? I didn't think that was what the OP wanted, but we'll have to wait until they return to find out more details of what they wanted.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Sure. The remote can be temporarily enabled for this.
If you delete the flathub remote Software Manager will not offer flatpaks.

Your avatar is a flatpak?
surfer57
Level 3
Level 3

Post by surfer57 »

Update Manager updates flatpak(s) one at a time, which requires clicking the apply button several times, After reviewing the flatpak(s) that can be updated in Update Manager, I simply open a terminal and type the command: flatpak update

I then watch as the flatpak(s) update as per my screenshot:
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-03-12 11-18-31.png
Restrictive EULAs launched the search for the perfect alternative. So, yeah, thanks for that..........
mtwebster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mtwebster »

Update Manager updates flatpak(s) one at a time, which requires clicking the apply button several times
So, you have a bunch of flatpaks listed in the update manager, selected, click Install, and you get not a single flatpak "These changes will be made" dialog, but many? Or does it end up only updating a single flatpak, then you have to click 'install updates' again to install another, etc...?

The former should not be possible, the latter could be. I would appreciate you running mintupdate in debug mode next time this is happening to maybe find out what's happening there.

killall mintUpdate
DEBUG=1 mintupdate
Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”