Uninstalled Flatpak and Software Manager no longer works

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sam I Am
Level 1
Level 1

Uninstalled Flatpak and Software Manager no longer works

Post by Sam I Am »

I hate Flatpak because they use way more HD space and run slower compared to their package counterparts so I found some posts that offered commands to remove it for the most part. The unfortunate consequence was that the Software Manager no longer functions. Whats the best way to get the Software Manager back and working. I guess I'll be forced to reinstall Flatpak?
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Uninstalled Flatpak and Software Manager no longer works

Post by ThaCrip »

I think the following will reinstall the Software Manager taking a quick look online...

Code: Select all

sudo apt install mintinstall
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Sam I Am wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:48 pm I hate Flatpak because they use way more HD space and run slower compared to their package counterparts so I found some posts that offered commands to remove it for the most part.
If you did not install any Flatpaks, then there was nothing for you to remove. Linux Mint does not come with any Flatpaks installed.

What did you remove?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Obviously the flatpak package was removed:
flat.png
If this package is missing SM will not start
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Sam I Am
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sam I Am »

I ran these commands:

flatpak uninstall --unused

sudo apt-get remove --autoremove flatpak

sudo apt-get purge flatpak
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Sam I Am wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:15 pm I ran these commands:

sudo apt-get remove --autoremove flatpak

Best way to do now is

apt install flatpak
Then just delete the flathub remote

sudo flatpak remote-delete flathub
The flatpak package will be unused except when polled at mintinstall start
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Sam I Am wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:15 pm I ran these commands:

And if it uninstalled nothing, that means you had no flatpaks installed and nothing to remove.
Sam I Am wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:15 pmsudo apt-get remove --autoremove flatpak

These lines removed the software which makes it possible to install flatpaks. As all41 has already shown, that software is a dependency for Software Manager. You should follow his directions.

In this Linux Mint blog post it indicates Flatpak support was added to the Update Manager so I suspect Software Manager is probably not the only thing no longer working properly on your computer.
Cobra99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cobra99 »

did you manage to fix it?
i have the same problem viewtopic.php?f=47&t=389941
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

What problem(s) would arise if the OP just left flatpak and Software Manager uninstalled and just used Synaptic instead? That's what I did. Synaptic and Software Manager both ship with Mint by default.. one of them is redundant.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
Cobra99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cobra99 »

revmacian wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:14 pm What problem(s) would arise if the OP just left flatpak and Software Manager uninstalled and just used Synaptic instead? That's what I did. Synaptic and Software Manager both ship with Mint by default.. one of them is redundant.
With Synaptic you need to know what you want. SM gives you hints/ ideas of programs you could try.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

Cobra99 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:19 pm
revmacian wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:14 pm What problem(s) would arise if the OP just left flatpak and Software Manager uninstalled and just used Synaptic instead? That's what I did. Synaptic and Software Manager both ship with Mint by default.. one of them is redundant.
With Synaptic you need to know what you want. SM gives you hints/ ideas of programs you could try.
Hmm.. maybe that's why I love Synaptic and apt-get.. less wasted time trying to wade through what a total stranger thinks I might want.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Update Manager is a front-end for Synaptic (and flathub) with functions Synaptic does not provide by default.
Synaptic is described as "apt manager". Lists all available software in the repositories set as software sources. You can select available updates in Synaptic but it does not offer updates automatically. Hence the need for an update manager running in the background. Trivial for all operating systems and Mint's update manager perhaps the best among debian/ubuntu distros.
So It is not a "stranger" it reminds you to update software you already have and if you want your system in a good working state then you have to keep it up-to-date.
Advice like "you don't need both synaptic and update manager in your system" sounds quite unwise especially when offered in Beginner Questions subforum and is based on misunderstanding about their respective levels of functionality.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

MiZoG wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:01 pm Update Manager is a front-end for Synaptic (and flathub) with functions Synaptic does not provide by default.
Synaptic is described as "apt manager". Lists all available software in the repositories set as software sources. You can select available updates in Synaptic but it does not offer updates automatically. Hence the need for an update manager running in the background. Trivial for all operating systems and Mint's update manager perhaps the best among debian/ubuntu distros.
So It is not a "stranger" it reminds you to update software you already have and if you want your system in a good working state then you have to keep it up-to-date.
Yes, I still have Update Manager installed, though I removed Software Manager via apt. Update Manager still notifies me of updates, even though Software Manager was removed. I just feel that Software Manager itself is redundant if Synaptic is installed.
MiZoG wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:01 pm Advice like "you don't need both synaptic and update manager in your system" sounds quite unwise especially when offered in Beginner Questions subforum and is based on misunderstanding about their respective levels of functionality.
I don't remember saying that Update Manager wasn't needed. On the contrary, Update Manager is definitely needed.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Sam I Am wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:48 pmWhats the best way to get the Software Manager back and working. I guess I'll be forced to reinstall Flatpak?
Did all41's commands help you to get it working? If not please run mintinstall from the command line and post the error messages you get. We were able to get Cobra99's install working again by tracing through the error messages.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

If you don't approve/want/like flatpak just remove the remote as I have shown:

after which flatpak packages will not be offered or even appear in Software Manager.

The framework is still there if you change your mind but the /usr/bin/flatpak package is otherwise
unused and innocuous.
SM looks there at start--if flatpak remotes are installed you will be offered flatpaks --otherwise not.
Two separate SM landing pages.
pc10
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pc10 »

I had the same problem and found out, that the
is the problem.
This removes /var/lib/flatpak and this seems to be the problem for the Software Manager.

Just do
sudo apt-get install flatpak
sudo apt-get remove flatpak
leaving the mentioned config directory untouched and the Software Manager is happy again, not showing any flatpak package.

Sorry, this is more or less a duplicate from a post above. :roll:
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

all41 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:55 pm If you don't approve/want/like flatpak just remove the remote as I have shown:

after which flatpak packages will not be offered or even appear in Software Manager.

The framework is still there if you change your mind ..
There are some who loathe flatpak so much that they would rather learn to develop and package our own apps than use a flatpak. Flatpak should never have been made a dep for Software Manager. This means, at least for some folks, Software Manager is now treated as a cancer.

Just saying.. it's quite a contentious subject.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Sam I Am wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:48 pm I hate Flatpak because they use way more HD space and run slower compared to their package counterparts so I found some posts that offered commands to remove it for the most part. The unfortunate consequence was that the Software Manager no longer functions. Whats the best way to get the Software Manager back and working. I guess I'll be forced to reinstall Flatpak?
Please confirm Mint edition you are running (inxi -S).

I have not such problems on LM 20.X and LM 21.X removing flatpak a indicated by Pjotr here (sudo apt-get purge "*flatpak*"). On those editions removing flatpak wont remove mintinstall.

That dependency problem was/is on LM 19.X edition (mintinstall is removed when removing flatpak and can't reinstall mintinstall w/o reinstalling flatpak).

If it is so, after removing flatpak, you can install another software manager (gnome-software by example). Then you can run it from Menu>Administration>Software.
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

revmacian wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:21 amThere are some who loathe flatpak so much that they would rather learn to develop and package our own apps than use a flatpak. Flatpak should never have been made a dep for Software Manager. This means, at least for some folks, Software Manager is now treated as a cancer.

Just saying.. it's quite a contentious subject.
Whether or not you like flatpak is not relevant here. This is a support topic where you should be posting to help solve the OP's issue. If you want to discuss your views on Flatpak, please open a topic in the Chat about Linux Mint forum.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Also it is not exact.
revmacian wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:21 am Flatpak should never have been made a dep for Software Manager.
flatpak is not a mintinstall's dependency (nor on LM 20.X/LM 21.X, neither on LM 19.X) it is only recommended. Dependency causing that problem on LM 19.X would be another one, most probably xdg-desktop-portal-gtk as it becames also a recommend package on last editions and problem is fixed.
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.

Return to “Beginner Questions”