{solved}GTA V

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blackhatworld
Level 1
Level 1

{solved}GTA V

Post by blackhatworld »

How to play games in Linux mint I want to play GTA v how do I play? in windows its too much easy
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: GTA V

Post by mikeflan »

There is nothing wrong with running it in windows if you want to.
I don't game, but perhaps Steam, or Play-on-Linux will work for that game.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

By and large it wont; GTA V uses the Rockstar Games Launcher, and if that thing works today through Proton it breaks tomorrow (and it doesn't work at least for me today). Advise is to not bother.
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

This is a good website for seeing if games will run through Steam:
https://www.protondb.com/app/271590

People report issues or successes here. It looks like a recent update broke the launcher.
blackhatworld
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blackhatworld »

So I come into solution Linux mint is not good for gamers, video editors and rendering. If you want to do all this stuff, so it's better to install windows for this task, Am I right?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Yes.
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

blackhatworld wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:52 am So I come into solution Linux mint is not good for gamers, video editors and rendering. If you want to do all this stuff, so it's better to install windows for this task, Am I right?
I use my computer for those things running an Nvidia Titan Xp. Other than a selection of games that I can't play due to the anti cheat software they use, or weird issues like you've found with GTA, I can play most games just fine.

I'm currently playing Total War Warhammer 3, just fine on very high settings at 1440p.

I think rene lost patience with you and that's why they responded yes.
But the answer to your question is actually, No.
But the issue with your question is that it's too generalised, just because you're having problems with GTA doesn't mean that LM is bad for gaming. It means it's not good at running GTA.

If it can run on Steamdeck it can run on Linux Mint. Otherwise check ProtonDB.

I'm not sure where the question of video editing and rendering came from? That's nothing to do with GTA and you can do those things fine.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Nikolai5 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:10 am I think rene lost patience with you and that's why they responded yes.
It's in fact more that they lost patience with Linux or in particular Linux gaming. I.e., also see how here for example quite literally nothing I tried worked: viewtopic.php?p=2283495#p2283495

If you need things to Just Work and always Just Work -- which I in the gaming context do since wrangling Linux is the very thing I'm taking a break from when I play a game -- then just use a Windows system and be done with it (and no, video editing and/or 3D-rendering is due to the best user-level software for such existing for Windows alone also not something that "Linux" is good at).
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

But the answer to your question is actually, No.
running proton, wine, gog etc means that you are not running Linux anymore but just Windows compatibility layers being at mercy of
-=t42=-
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

blackhatworld wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:52 am So I come into solution Linux mint is not good for gamers, video editors and rendering. If you want to do all this stuff, so it's better to install windows for this task, Am I right?
I'd agree for gaming. Linux absolutely stinks for gaming. If anyone is about to say that Steam and Linux gaming is making huge strides, I've been hearing that for years.

I'm not so sure I agree with video editors and rendering, though I suppose it depends on what you need. If you need a really advanced editor Windows has better selection. But for most users Kdenlive or Openshot or Avidemux is fine.

Same with video encoders. Handbrake is just fine for most users, who wouldn't know how to use the really adnaced features of advanced converters. NVEnc (or other hardware encoders) may not work as well in Linux. I don't really know because I'm not interested in hardware based encoding. The quality hit is just too much.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Windows is the standard for PC gaming and will remain for the time to come.
If you like us have strong reasons to switch partially or completely to Linux and you are at the same time a gamer, then you have to make compromises.
Keep a windows partition or be ready for a perhaps demanding learning curve with regard to setting up things on Linux. I myself have a similar experience to Nikolai5 and dissimilar to Hoser Rob.
If you feel impatient, leave switching to Linux for later.
One thing I can tell you with certainty: gaming never been better on Linux than it is now. But playing smoothly every Windows game at your first go with Linux is too good to be true.
blackhatworld wrote:So I come into solution Linux mint is not good for gamers, video editors and rendering. If you want to do all this stuff, so it's better to install windows for this task, Am I right?
Bear with me but it's early for conclusions and generalizations. Mint is arguably a good all-around ubuntu-based distro capable of accommodating newcomers and power-users alike. All depends on your workflow and specific needs. Another distro might prove more suitable for you, might not.
t42 wrote:running proton, wine, gog etc means that you are not running Linux anymore but just Windows compatibility layers being at mercy of
No, you're running Linux and you're having fun on Linux even if only for the pleasure of hacking :D
Last edited by MiZoG on Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

If you are using a "offline copy" (if you catch my drift ;) ), while I have not tried that particular game personally on Linux, I would say odds are it will work.

some people in here are saying gaming on Linux is horrible, it's not true. sure, not all games work but a decent amount do and the ones that do work well. all of the games I play (Mafia series, RDR2 (v1436.28) etc (basically games from 2002-2020)) work well through Lutris/GloriousEggroll runner for Lutris paired with Wine as I have pretty much no issues with them (I would say the one with the most issues is from 2002, which is just crashing back to desktop once in a while but it's not a big enough issue to be a show stopper as I can still complete the game). I prefer that Lutris etc setup over Steam since it's entirely offline. basically if you have a 'modern' GPU (which I think boils down to using the 'amdgpu' driver in Linux kernel for AMD GPU's, or the NVIDIA proprietary driver (which you can install from 'Driver Manager') for NVIDIA GPU's) chances are a fair amount of games will work for you.

but in general... if a person is a heavy gamer, it's not realistic to leave Windows. I am just glad that pretty much all of the games I care about work on Linux (and the very limited amount of Windows programs I use (Foobar2000/ImgBurn etc) work on Linux to).

p.s. for the record... I think the Mafia series is much better than the GTA series as the entire Mafia series I replay here and there as time passes where as the GTA series are okay enough to play through once but have no lasting impact.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
blackhatworld
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blackhatworld »

Thank you to everyone for sharing your thoughts and opinions. After considering all the comments and conducting my own research, I have arrived at the same conclusion as before. It's important to note that everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint and in my opinion.
  • Linux can be a good option for gaming, but it depends on the individual's preferences and needs . Not all games are available for Linux, and some games that are available may not run as well on Linux as they do on other operating systems such as Windows. However, the number of games available for Linux is growing, and many popular games can now be played on Linux through the use of compatibility layers such as Wine or Proton(I believe if you are using wine then you are not running Linux anymore).
  • The performance of games on Linux can vary depending on the hardware configuration and the game in question. In general, the latest Linux distributions provide good performance and stability, and many users report good gaming experiences on Linux.
  • Linux has a strong community of users and developers, and support is widely available for various issues. However, finding help for gaming-specific problems may be more challenging than on other operating systems, as the gaming community is still relatively small on Linux compared to Windows

Why I Think windows is good just for one reason?
Windows has a longer history of gaming, and as a result, the user experience for gaming on Windows is generally more streamlined and user-friendly. Installing and configuring games on Linux can sometimes be more complicated for non-technical users.(included me)

If you are a gamer who is looking for the largest selection of games and the best performance, Windows is probably the better choice. However, if you are comfortable with the Linux operating system and are willing to try alternative methods of playing games, then Linux can be a good option for gaming as well.

I find Linux Mint to be a great choice for my everyday desktop computing needs, such as web browsing, email, office productivity, and multimedia playback. Its user-friendly interface and pre-installed software make it a perfect option for both me as a beginner and for more advanced users like myself.

I hope you will agree with my perspective as a beginner, but if not, I understand and respect your differing opinion. Thank you for your time and consideration. Regardless, the issue has been resolved, and I am grateful for your input.

Note:I am embarking on a journey with Linux, and I am determined to see it through to the end. As a Linux user, I am eager to learn and grow my knowledge and skills. However, if the need arises in the future, I am willing to invest in another computer specifically for gaming and other tasks that may require it.
yoann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yoann »

Just my testimony regarding gaming in general on LM with Steam : My gaming PC does not even have Windows on it anymore.

When I wanted to play on Windows, I was spending more time in front of an unfinished and never-ending "update on reboot" procedure than actually playing. Quite frustrating gaming experience if you ask me.

So I progressively migrated my Steam Library to my dual-boot LM, till I found i did not need Windows anymore, and got rid of it.

Some games won't work out of the box on Steam linux, but I so far always managed to find workarounds.

Once a game works, I keep track of the workaround in a readme file just in case, and i disable Steam's auto-update for the game.

Though it's true that editor's game launchers might create issues :

- few months ago 2K unexpectedly added a buggy game launcher to all their collection (including those games published 15 years ago), but someone published workaround to bypass the launcher, and since then i don't update 2K games anymore ...

- i still can't play Far Cry 3 because of an account issue with the Ubisoft Origin launcher. So I won't buy anymore games from them, and voila, problem solved again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”