{solved} bypass security of linux mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blackhatworld
Level 1
Level 1

{solved} bypass security of linux mint

Post by blackhatworld »

While it is true that a proficient user may be able to bypass the security of Linux Mint with ease, it is a cause for concern and which steps we need to protect our systems. As a Linux Mint user, I believe this is an important issue that requires attention and action to ensure the safety of our data and devices.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
blackhatworld
Level 1
Level 1

encrypt data

Post by blackhatworld »

How can I encrypt my data on Linux Mint to protect against unauthorized access if the security is bypassed?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: bypass security of linux mint

Post by Hoser Rob »

Define 'proficient'. A really proficient one can get into anything. There's only one way to guarantee 100% safety. Buy a computer, take it home, and never ever take it out of the box.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

blackhatworld wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:36 am which steps we need to protect our systems
If you want to protect the data, against a local attack (in other words, someone has your computer in hands), while the machine is not running... then the answer is encryption. It's a valid question, but it's not a new one and the answers exist.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Moderator's note:
Two topics about the same question merged into one.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

How can I encrypt my data on Linux Mint to protect against unauthorized access if the security is bypassed?
Veracrypt is a common encryption program used. I don't use it at the moment, but probably will someday soon.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I have had an idea on the back burner for some time now. I just do not have the time to investigate it. I ran across a problem when logged into a remote server trying to perform some maintenance. Every time I typed a letter on the keyboard it would show up on the server as a capital letter. So, I could not run any commands. I got the common "Command not found" error. The next day I visited the server site as it was only about 5 miles from me. It seemed someone there accidently turn on the Caps lock. I was using teamviewer at the time and found this to be interesting.

I thought, There must be a way to alter the keyboard definitions so that every time you hit a key from remote it would add a space or some other character. Only a certain key combo from remote would reload a different (and correct) keyboard definition via a script.

Just an interesting exercise in stopping intrusion attacks. I really do not have the time to pursue it.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
blackhatworld
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blackhatworld »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:24 am Define 'proficient'. A really proficient one can get into anything. There's only one way to guarantee 100% safety. Buy a computer, take it home, and never ever take it out of the box.
also, I have another suggestion, never ever connect your computer with internet, don't install software, just use for simple task.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

blackhatworld wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:42 am also, I have another suggestion, never ever connect your computer with internet, don't install software, just use for simple task.
Your chosen username says quite a bit about your agenda.

So.. the computer is basically a paperweight? What's the point of having it? If I couldn't connect my computer to the internet then that computer would be a waste of resources and quickly be thrown into the trash bin.

Human beings were designed to grow and improve, not cower under the bad due to fear. Knowledge is power, fear is not your master. Computers were designed to do work, not sit and collect dust. Computer security is a journey, not a destination... there is no such thing as a completely secure computer.

Once you understand the above.. install and use computer encryption, follow good computer practices and you should be fine.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
blackhatworld
Level 1
Level 1

Re: {solved} bypass security of linux mint

Post by blackhatworld »

You raise some valid points. The username that I choose may reveal something about my intentions or beliefs, but it is not the only factor that determines my behavior.

Regarding the use of computers, I completely agree with you that their purpose is to aid us in our work and make our lives easier. A computer that is not connected to the internet or does not serve a specific purpose would indeed be a waste of resources.

As for computer security, I also agree with you that it is an ongoing journey, and there is no such thing as a completely secure computer. It is important to take necessary precautions, such as using computer encryption and following good computer practices, to minimize the risk of security threats.

But Everyone has their own unique perspective and approach to utilizing technology. Some individuals require internet connectivity, while others do not. Ultimately, the use of a computer is contingent upon the specific needs and behavior of the user

Return to “Beginner Questions”