Too many passwords asked

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
friccy
Level 1
Level 1

Too many passwords asked

Post by friccy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:10 am

Hi guys!
I have used Ubuntu before and have been disappointed by the 9.10 release and then have turned to Mint. I know that Mint is based on Ubuntu 9.10 but somehow it installed easier and is working with absolute no problem. So, I am new with the Mint and have some questions.
Have set up my laptop to automatic log in.
It is OK, but still is asking password to connect to the wireless internet, which is again OK.
But when I am opening one of the partitions on the hard drive, asking again, shutting down, asking again (saying that another user is logged in, me).
How can I set it up to bypass some of these passwords?
Thank you in advance!

garda
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Too many passwords asked

Post by garda » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:47 am

Turning off automatic login suppresses the unnecessary password prompts.

recent-convert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by recent-convert » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Another way to stop password prompts when mounting your hard drive's partitions would be to run Terminal and type:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.policy
Enter password when prompted. In the text file that opens, find this bit: (around line 34)

<action id="org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.filesystem-mount-system-internal">
    <description>Mount a system-internal device</description>
    <description xml:lang="da">Montér en intern enhed</description>
    <description xml:lang="de">Eingebautes Gerät einhängen</description>
    <message>Authentication is required to mount the device</message>
    <message xml:lang="da">Autorisering er påkrævet for at montere et fil system</message>
    <message xml:lang="de">Zugriffsrechte werden benötigt um das Gerät einzuhängen</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>no</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>
Change <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active> to <allow_active>yes</allow_active> and that's it. You won't be asked for a password everytime you mount internal drives anymore.

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:04 pm

recent-convert wrote:Another way to stop password prompts when mounting your hard drive's partitions would be to run Terminal and type:

gksudo gedit /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.policy
Enter password when prompted. In the text file that opens, find this bit: (around line 34)

<action id="org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.filesystem-mount-system-internal">
    <description>Mount a system-internal device</description>
    <description xml:lang="da">Montér en intern enhed</description>
    <description xml:lang="de">Eingebautes Gerät einhängen</description>
    <message>Authentication is required to mount the device</message>
    <message xml:lang="da">Autorisering er påkrævet for at montere et fil system</message>
    <message xml:lang="de">Zugriffsrechte werden benötigt um das Gerät einzuhängen</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>no</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>
Change <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active> to <allow_active>yes</allow_active> and that's it. You won't be asked for a password everytime you mount internal drives anymore.
Wow! I am impressed. Somebody around here that understands Policykit :shock: You are going to be busy.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

friccy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friccy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:56 am

Thanks for the suggestions!
I have tried the first idea, the one with logging in with a password, because the second one looked much too complicated to me.
Have tried to set up the log in with password but still needs password in lots of cases. Now to open a second partition on the hard drive requires a password. Before if I have introduced it for one partition all the others were accessible after.

Return to “Newbie Questions”