Mouse unresponsive [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Stuartirish
Level 1
Level 1

Mouse unresponsive [Solved]

Post by Stuartirish »

Hi I'm sorry if this is already posted some where or I'm not following guideline or a set layout but at the moment my mouse isn't working and being new to linux I'm finding it hard to do anything without the mouse

Problem.

I downloaded Linux-8 Main version off the main site today and put it on to the disk and ran it from the disk to try it out first and I quite liked it so I installed to my hard drive. First time I installed it at 99% I got a installer crashed so I restarted tried to install same error but when I did it a third time work perfectly.

So I boot it up from hard drive and all is fine and dandy. Get to the desktop and start changed background and uploading my music when suddenly mouse stop responding everything else is working fine but cursor isn't moving in accordance to the mouse. originally I was using a silver crest wireless mouse so I disconnect the wireless USB wireless thing for it and stuck it a packard bell USB mouse I had lying around but same result when I restarted with it

So I restarted hoping it was my computer just adjusting so get back to desktop and all fine again till about two minutes into the thing and same issue.

So using keyboard find my way onto firefox and onto here tried searching but couldn't find anything that applied to my situation but with out a mouse I found searching hard and decided to register which again I found hard and made this topic.

System specs: (Figured this would be of use)
Dell Dimension C521
2.5 GB RAM
80GB HDD (Containing Operation system)
25 GB HDD
(Can't remember anything else sorry if you need more say and I'll get them)

I tried a Silver crest wireless mouse and a Packard bell USB both had same problem so I doubt it's the mouse.

Again I'm sorry if I'm making a question that been answer a few times already or if i'm not using a certain format but I'm new to Linux and the community and am lost with my mouse.

Thanks
Stuart .M
Last edited by Stuartirish on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mouse unresponsive

Post by richyrich »

Can you get your hands on a ps2 mouse ?

Stuartirish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stuartirish »

yes but my computer doesn't have that port

uilenspiegel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by uilenspiegel »

I just took a quick look at the Ubuntu forums and found a promising thread for essentially the same issue ... the thread is still in progress but the latest post suggests the following:

"You seem to have a conflict with other USB devices if the keyboard or mouse is also USB. Remove any other devices and try again. If the problem persists try a different USB slot for the keyboard and/or mouse."

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=4

If "uploading music" means you've got other devices connected to USB ports, this suggestion might be a good one for you.

Stuartirish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stuartirish »

I've tried the mouse is every port and restarted same result every time but the keyboard always work without problem.

Starting to think my mouse hate :( , Might just let my cat at it :P

Stuartirish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stuartirish »

Going to download linux mint again and reinstall unless anyone else has any ideas?

update:

Re-instation working everything working as it should

Thanks

Stuart.

Stuartirish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stuartirish »

Ok mouse has stopped working again and soon after the keyboard as well after a few minute after logining.

help please

uilenspiegel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by uilenspiegel »

I went back to look for updates in that same ubuntuforums thread (I understand that searching is tough for you, so I am copying things here) and here are the latest (semi-useful) posts:

-------------------

Re: Mouse won't work and maybe keyboard
You don't need to reinstall since that's not the issue. With Linux you never need to reinstall except for a catastrophic failure. Constant reinstalling is a Windows mentality. This is only a conflict and you just need to resolve it.

I suggest you go into your BIOS settings and make sure that your USB legacy devices settings for the keyboard/mouse are turned on. If they are then try the opposite and turn them off.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=7

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp99 View Post
You don't need to reinstall since that's not the issue. . . . This is only a conflict and you just need to resolve it.
Yes, I agree . . . and it is very good to be reminded of this as I too have
also found myself falling into that re-install mentality on occasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp99 View Post
. . .
I suggest you go into your BIOS settings and make sure that your USB legacy devices settings for the keyboard/mouse are turned on. If they are then try the opposite and turn them off.
Good suggestion . . .

USB input devices, such as a keyboard or mouse, can require USB legacy emulation to work correctly.

As an alternative,
you can configure the USB host controller's resource settings to match those that are assigned by the BIOS . . .
so to resolve the conflict you can try setting the USB Host Controller to use the BIOS settings.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=8

I just remembered, I had a similar problem with a Logictech keyboard and mouse combination not working correctly on an EVGA motherboard. The solution for me was to plug the mouse into the P/S 2 (purple) keyboard connector and the keyboard into a USB slot sans the adapter.

BTW I did this by accident and was surprised that it worked!!!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=9

-------------------

I realize that nothing in the above is a silver bullet, but it may suggest something. I'll take another look at what's on the forum and will post if I find something promising.

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

This sounds similar to an issue that I was having (mouse & keyboard dead after the desktop loaded), which was solved via this posting.

Be sure to note the correction to the original poster's kernel parameter, and check out the link to the post on the Ubuntu Forums there too.

Joe

uilenspiegel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by uilenspiegel »

Nice find, Joe, that looks promising. I'm going to post a link to it on the other thread I was referencing above.

Stuartirish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stuartirish »

Thank alot I'm not at my PC and I won't be for next few days but either way thanks for taking the time to help me means alot

Stuartirish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stuartirish »

OK follow the other post and everything is working right not.

I wanna thank everyone how took the time to help me. Being new to Linux it's nice to see a great community being a great OS.

Thanks a lot

Stuart

PS: I will change the title to Solve in a day just to be 100% solution worked.

Return to “Newbie Questions”