clean installation of Mint 8 over Ubuntu 9.10

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
angst56

clean installation of Mint 8 over Ubuntu 9.10

Post by angst56 »

Hi there

I have a HP NC4010 notebook that I replaced the original XP with Ubuntu 9.10 and
as a “noob” to Linux I would like to know if someone tell me how to do a clean
install of Mint 8 over Ubuntu .

I know Mint is closely related to Ubuntu but in my case I think a clean install would
be the best alternative. I have read a number of instructions from the net on how to
do it, but I really a “Mint for Dummies” type assistance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
uilenspiegel

Re: clean installation of Mint 8 over Ubuntu 9.10

Post by uilenspiegel »

As I recall, the Mint team actually recommends doing a clean install --- following an upgrade path is possible, but not without risk, and (again this is my recollection) the philosophy is that that risk shouldn't be hidden behind a standard upgrade procedure. So you're making a solid choice by going for a clean install.

Since you're doing a complete drive install (with no partitioning), this is mindnumbingly easy. Partitioning is just about the only thing that can possibly be confusing about installing Mint, the rest is just a matter of following the step-by-step instructions (truly the For Dummies level description you asked for, with a screenshot of every step) on pages 6-19 of the Mint 8 User Guide.

You can find the latest user guide for various versions and various languages at the Mint home page:

http://www.linuxmint.com/start/helena

The English version of the Mint 8 User Guide is here:

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... sh_8.1.pdf

Have fun!
angst56

Re: clean installation of Mint 8 over Ubuntu 9.10

Post by angst56 »

Thanks for the information it was a real help.

I am now one more step away from being a noob

Return to “Beginner Questions”