Hp machine unable to suspend

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Jason0210
Level 1
Level 1

Hp machine unable to suspend

Post by Jason0210 »

Hi I am just installed Mint 8 a few days ago. I like it for the most part, but there are just a few problems with my computer. By googleing, I solve most of those problems, but system suspension is one of the problems I cannot solve.

I used Ubuntu in my computer before and it can suspend fine (but not hibernate), then I get rid of ubuntu and install mint 8, but now it does not even suspend when I click the suspend button. It just goes in to a black screen with a point blinking on the top left conner of the screen. (I can see it is not suspended because the power light is on and I can hear the fan running some time) After 10 seconds, when I press a botton on the keyboard or move the mouse, it resumed to the login screen.

i searched in google and forums including this one, but I cannot find a similar case(or is that I am just not searching the right words?)
Any idea?

By the way another problem I can't solve is with the virtual box. I can't get the usb to work. I have the right version of virtualbox and can see the option on usb on the setting. But after I activated the usb in the setting (I check the box in the filter, and it's says # active), and boot the system(I have both xp and windows 7), the usb options on the botton become unavailable(I can see the usb in that menu but they are gray with a note says state unavailable or something like that)

Thanks in advance!

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Hp machine unable to suspend

Post by remoulder »

On your suspend problem, how much RAM does your machine have and how big is your swap file?

On the VB problem, have you installed the Virtualbox Additions to the virtual machine?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Jason0210
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jason0210 »

remoulder wrote:On your suspend problem, how much RAM does your machine have and how big is your swap file?

On the VB problem, have you installed the Virtualbox Additions to the virtual machine?
My computer has 3Gb of ram and 500 Mb of swap.

Yeah, I installed the default addition inside the Virtualbox system.(not include the 3D accaleration option)

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Jason0210 wrote:3Gb of ram and 500 Mb of swap.
Your swap is too small for suspend and hibernation to work, it needs to be at least as big as the ram.

In VB you need to create a filter for each usb device you want available to your virtual machine in the settings for that machine. You can also create empty filters to match devices plugged in later. When you start the vm only the devices for which you have a specific filter are attached, if you then plug another device this will appear in the list of devices available under the Devices | USB menu, to attach it to the vm you have to select it there.

If this is not working, what version of VB is installed?

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

I don't want to hijack your thread or anything...but I'm having troubles with suspend as well. Let me know if you do happen to find a solution to your problem, as I'd love to be able to suspend with my laptop. ;) (My swap is the same size as my RAM, and Hibernate works...a bit glitchy, but it works, unlike suspend).
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by piratesmack »

Maybe this will help with your USB problem
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch11.html#usb_linux

Jason0210
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jason0210 »

remoulder wrote:
Jason0210 wrote:3Gb of ram and 500 Mb of swap.
Your swap is too small for suspend and hibernation to work, it needs to be at least as big as the ram.

In VB you need to create a filter for each usb device you want available to your virtual machine in the settings for that machine. You can also create empty filters to match devices plugged in later. When you start the vm only the devices for which you have a specific filter are attached, if you then plug another device this will appear in the list of devices available under the Devices | USB menu, to attach it to the vm you have to select it there.

If this is not working, what version of VB is installed?

The usb of the virtualbox worked after I ran it as root, but is that the right way to do it?

And for the suspend, I tried add more swap by creating a 4.8Gb swap file, but it doesn't seem to do anything... and the same black screen happened when I try to hibernate.

Jason0210
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jason0210 »

piratesmack wrote:Maybe this will help with your USB problem
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch11.html#usb_linux

I think it is related to the problem I have, which is that the virtualbox doesn't have access to usb, since it worked when I ran it as a root as I found out later.

Thanks anyway

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Jason0210 wrote:virtualbox doesn't have access to usb
Can you access usb devices outside of VB properly, say if you plug in a usb flashdrive, does it appear on your desktop and can you read/write to it?
Jason0210 wrote:when I ran it as a root
Can you elaborate how you did that as it may possibly have affected your permissions? Also are you a member of the virtualbox group and does this group have permissions on the VB installation? This may come down to how you installed it, was it via a repo?

Jason0210
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jason0210 »

remoulder wrote:
Jason0210 wrote:virtualbox doesn't have access to usb
Can you access usb devices outside of VB properly, say if you plug in a usb flashdrive, does it appear on your desktop and can you read/write to it?
Jason0210 wrote:when I ran it as a root
Can you elaborate how you did that as it may possibly have affected your permissions? Also are you a member of the virtualbox group and does this group have permissions on the VB installation? This may come down to how you installed it, was it via a repo?

I can see the usb on the desktop and can read/write to the it.

I just typed sudo VirtualBox in the terminal and the usb worked. By a member of the virtual group do you mean register to it? I installed the PUEL deb. from virtualbox.org

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Jason0210 wrote:the PUEL deb. from virtualbox.org
By that I take it you mean http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... c_i386.deb?
Jason0210 wrote:By a member of the virtual group do you mean register to it?
No, if you go to Users and Groups in Administration, click the Unlock button, select your username then Properties and the Groups tab. Scroll down to the virtualbox group and check your name if it isn't already. This gives you permissions to access the VB installation.
Jason0210 wrote:sudo VirtualBox
You should actually use gksudo for running GUI applications. In nautilus, can you check the permissions of the hidden .virtualbox folder in your home folder.

PS. Can you not quote the entire post in your replies as this makes the thread unnecessarily long.

Jason0210
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jason0210 »

remoulder wrote: By that I take it you mean http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... c_i386.deb?
yeah
remoulder wrote: ...This gives you permissions to access the VB installation.
I check the virtualbox box, but the usb is still unavilable when I run the virtualbox as normal user.

remoulder wrote: In nautilus, can you check the permissions of the hidden .virtualbox folder in your home folder.
the owner of the .virtualbox folder is my user name, I can access it.

Jason0210
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jason0210 »

Seems like similar suspend/hibernated issues have been around for quite a long time:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307618

It's been said that the problem is related to the new release kernel of Ubuntu 9.10. Since Mint 8 is base on ubuntu 9.10, it's not surprising that it appears again here...

So far I have found no solution to it.

i guest im going back to Windows 7 for now

jkendellsmith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jkendellsmith »

I am having the same problem, suspend and hibernate do not work. I'm thinking of testing Linux Mint 7 Gloria off of a USB drive to see if things are any different. The problem seems to stem from some kind of bug with the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M graphics cards. Do you have the same graphics card in your laptop?
This is a related thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=36142

Jason0210
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jason0210 »

jkendellsmith wrote:Do you have the same graphics card in your laptop?
No, I actually have Nvidia Geforce Go 7400.

torque2k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by torque2k »

FYI, this has been bugging the living daylights out of me! I finally found a fix for my particular machine (Acer Aspire 5100 w/ Turion64 and ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1371844

I found the downloads here: http://www.jordanpeterson.me/node/235

This worked wonders for me. However, the instructions are for Ubuntu. In Linux Mint 8, there is no "wajig" command as listed a few comments below the fix (this stops Synaptics package manager from breaking it again with newer package updates). So, since I'm on dialup, I just won't do any updates for awhile, unless one of you can figure out how to stop Linux Mint from breaking the fix.

Hope this helps some of you with these suspend issues!

Jason0210
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jason0210 »

torque2k wrote:I finally found a fix for my particular machine (Acer Aspire 5100 w/ Turion64 and ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1371844
That should work for machine with Ati but unfortunately I have nvidia graphic card. I think the problem with my machine is somewhat related the the kernel because my laptop can suspend fine with Ubuntu 9.04.

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

torque2k wrote:FYI, this has been bugging the living daylights out of me! I finally found a fix for my particular machine (Acer Aspire 5100 w/ Turion64 and ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1371844

I found the downloads here: http://www.jordanpeterson.me/node/235

This worked wonders for me. However, the instructions are for Ubuntu. In Linux Mint 8, there is no "wajig" command as listed a few comments below the fix (this stops Synaptics package manager from breaking it again with newer package updates). So, since I'm on dialup, I just won't do any updates for awhile, unless one of you can figure out how to stop Linux Mint from breaking the fix.

Hope this helps some of you with these suspend issues!
Glad to see you managed to fix your suspend problem. Now, as for not doing any updates at all, that's not a very good idea altogether. Note that Mint doesn't install any updates automatically with mintUpdate; you have to update your system yourself, and you are able to selectively choose the packages you wish to upgrade. However, I understand it may get tiring to see the "unlocked" mintUpdate icon all the time, but there's a fix for that too. Right-click on the lock icon, choose Preferences > Ignored Packages, and add "xserver-xorg-video-radeon" and "xserver-xorg-video-ati". Refresh mintUpdate and you shouldn't see them anymore. ;)

I solved my suspend problem as well, although it wasn't due to any graphics-related problems, as I initially suspected (my nvidia drivers work perfectly fine with suspend and resume). Turns out the problem was that my laptop was unable to remount my Mint partitions on resume, so I had to change the HDC Controller in my BIOS settings to fix the issue.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

jkendellsmith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jkendellsmith »

Ah, I tried the same fix to downgrade the xorg-ati drivers, but it didn't work. There must be some other non-graphics card reason for my problems. I'm going to give this process a shot when I have time using pm-trace:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_ke ... AM_failure

Maybe then I can figure out what driver/device is causing the failures.

Return to “Newbie Questions”