Issue with video playing...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Issue with video playing...

Post by sdim »

Hi,everyone.
About a month ago,I had to change my NVidia graphics card,due to the fact that the previous one (an 8500 GT ) probably got burnt out.
I have a 240 GT now.
When I installed the hardware,I didn't think I had to install the drivers all over again,so I left it as it was (185 driver installed).Since then,I've noticed that whenever I try to play videos,either on Totem or SMPlayer,I get a slight wobbly effect,and the also known tearing effect,which were no problems with my previous card,since everything was set up OK.What's going on?
I have re-installed the 185 driver from User Control-->Hardware Drivers,but it's the same.It goes without saying that Compiz isn't activated during all this.
Let me add that I have the video settings set to xv output.
Any ideas?
Many thanks.

PS I had Docky installed recently.Could this be interfering in anything?
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 18 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Issue with video playing...

Post by remoulder »

Delete your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (as root) if it exists and re-run gksu nvidia-settings. You may also need to check the settings in your video applications. The settings you had related to your previous card, you need to delete them and create new ones for the replacement.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Thanks for the help,remoulder.
I did what I could,but nothing changed as far as video quality is concerned.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

sdim wrote:nothing changed as far as video quality is concerned.
With the 240GT being a fairly new card, it maybe that the linux drivers haven't caught up yet. You could possibly try installing a newer driver from the nvidia website if there is one. There are very few posts about this card on the ubuntu forums, maybe you could look further afield at forums for other distros such as fedora to see if anyone has a solution on drivers, but be careful about installing anything from another distro.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Many thanks for the answers.

Return to “Newbie Questions”