X Not Displaying Properly

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
shredmaster5k
Level 1
Level 1

X Not Displaying Properly

Post by shredmaster5k »

Originally, I had been using my TV as a monitor for my box via the VGA cable. I switched to a normal CRT the other day, and when I booted up my computer, X wasn't displaying properly at all. Basically, all I saw was a black screen and the bottom of the mint logo for a couple of pixels at the top of my screen. I switched to one of the terminals and everything displayed properly there.

I tried removing GDM, but when I typed startx, I ran into the same thing. I looked through a couple of config files but I honestly don't know what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help!
pompom
Level 4
Level 4

Re: X Not Displaying Properly

Post by pompom »

Welcome to Linux Mint!

Try booting into the recovery shell entering from grub menu your kernel version and the shell option

Code: Select all

linux.2.6.31-22-generic init=/bin/sh
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
That should do the trick.

Cheers,

pompom
"This is Linux. It gives you cute mascot and enough rope to hang yourself." --- Miquel van Smoorenburg
shredmaster5k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shredmaster5k »

Thank you very much for the reply! I really must apologize at my lack of technical expertise here -- I have tried to get something going with this, but I can't figure out how to get to the recovery shell from GRUB to do what you described there. I've tried searching for some answers, but to no avail. Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Again, thanks very much!
th3bar0n
Level 1
Level 1

Post by th3bar0n »

When you boot up the PC, you get a green menu (after about 5-10 seconds) The top option will say Linux Mint. At this point, press the down arrow on your keyboard and select the recovery mode option.

th3bar0n
thebar0n