3com PCMCIA Wireless network problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
potski

3com PCMCIA Wireless network problems

Post by potski »

Hi everybody,
I just installed linux mint and have the following problem.
I have a 3com pcmcia wireless network card model number 3crshpw196.
It appears to work with mint and can detect wirless networks but the signal is so weak it cannot connect (1 bar).
Even though i am 10 feet (3meters) away from the router and it works perfectly in puppy linux and windows xp on the same machine.
Ive tried to install the ndiswrapper driver files (which work in XP ) but it says they are invalid drivers.
i have run the lspci and lsusb but it does not show the pcmcia card
Does anybody have any ideas what i need to do to get it working properly.
My router is currently setup as WEP for security if that helps.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jay514

Re: 3com PCMCIA Wireless network problems

Post by Jay514 »

Welcome to Linux Mint
I found no post here for your hardware, but found some here that may be relevant = http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=71158386
I hope this helps,
Jay514 :roll:
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

potski wrote:It appears to work with mint and can detect wirless networks but the signal is so weak it cannot connect (1 bar)
You could try updating your wireless drivers and kernel as per http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p255007 though it's not guaranteed to help. You would need to run lspcmcia to see the card.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
potski

Post by potski »

Thank you for the details.
unfortunately the updates have not worked. It still shows at 1 bar
the lspcmcia shows:
Socket 0 Bridge: [yenta_cardbus] (bus ID: 0000:00:08.0)
Socket 0 Device 0: [atmel_cs] (bus ID: 0.0)
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

potski wrote:unfortunately the updates have not worked. It still shows at 1 bar
I did say not guaranteed to help! Not sure why your signal is so low, might not be a driver issue at all, though I believe the pcmcia sub-system in this release has some issues? Your card is quite old so it's unlikely there will be any new drivers. Is there any way you can add an antenna to boost the signal?

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

old cards 'B' = slow signal and will slow the whole network down. g or even n will be faster. That could be the issue. I have 1 b in the shed and running the old one slows all other down. system reverts back to the slowest card.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

GrayWizardLinux wrote:old cards 'B' = slow signal
You might be misreading this, the issue is low signal not slow signal :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”