Resume from suspend problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
th3bar0n
Level 1
Level 1

Resume from suspend problems

Post by th3bar0n »

Hi All,

Resuming my Dell Laptop from suspend frequently (60-70%) of the time causes one of two issues. The laptop uses nVidia drivers if this is an issue. I use these for compiz.

Issue 1: Touchpad and Keyboard do not work at all. Usually if I shut the lid to suspend again and reopen, the functionality returns after 2 or 3 goes.

Issue 2: The display flickers briefly the GDM display and then goes black. If I move the touchpad, the display will flicker on and off, but although I can see the mint logo on the GDM screen, there is no password entry box. Only solution is to restart X and lose anything that was running :-(

What logs should I consult to try to diagnose the issues I am getting, or has anyone else had either of these issues and solved successfully.

I have browsed the Mint and Ubuntu forums and note that suspend issues are common but varied with little success in resolution.

Any help would be gratefully received. Loving Mint 8 so far.

Thanks
M.
thebar0n
_h_
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Resume from suspend problems

Post by _h_ »

I'm having the same suspend issues, where my keyboard and USB mouse doesn't work (either does my touchpad), and my screen doesn't reactivate forcing me to have to hold my power button for 10 seconds to hard shutdown.

What I can suggest is use Hibernate instead of Suspend mode, Hibernation seems to work alot better.
th3bar0n
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Resume from suspend problems

Post by th3bar0n »

Alas Hibernation does not work on my laptop. I just get a black screen with flashing cursor at the top left when I try to hibernate :cry:
thebar0n