How do I extend Linux's partition?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Topless Granny

How do I extend Linux's partition?

Post by Topless Granny »

Sorry if this gas been asked before.

I dual boot Windows and Linux, giving Linux 70GB to try it out. I'd like to give it more (taking it from the Windows partition). How do I do this? I have tried Window's Disk Management thing and it doesn't let me extend Linux's partition.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: How do I extend Linux's partition?

Post by proxima_centauri »

If possible do a defragmentation in Windows before resizing. Assuming your Windows partition comes first on the HardDrive:

You need to boot a LiveCD, use a partition editor (gparted) to first resize the Windows partition, then you need to resize the Linux partition to occupy the resulting space.
Topless Granny

Post by Topless Granny »

Thanks a lot. I will try that.
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

After you resize a Windows C: drive , re-boot into Windows first to let it do a file check , before you re-boot again to set up Linux partitions.
stevefed5291

Post by stevefed5291 »

yeah windows freaks out after a partition resize. Best to let chkdisk do its thing :)
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If you are running Vista or Win 7, your safest bet is to use the Windows Disk Management Utility to resize the Windows partition rather than Gparted.

If you are using XP, you will have to use Gparted. XP's Disk Manager does not include a partition editor.
hipporhinostricow

Post by hipporhinostricow »

I'm assuming you installed Linux Mint the normal way - using a boot disk.

Since you cannot edit partitions whilst reading/writing data from them, i.e booting into either windows or linux partitions, use the boot disk and run gparted from that.

Return to “Beginner Questions”