[solved] Why no kernel update in update manager?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
donsy
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Why no kernel update in update manager?

Post by donsy »

Hello, I'm an Ubuntu 9.10 user and recently installed Helena. I noticed that among the 215 updates that needed to be applied there was none for kernel 2.6.31.20, which is the latest in Ubuntu. Why no kernel update and how can I update to this kernel version manually?
Last edited by donsy on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donsy
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Re: Why no kernel update in update manager?

Post by donsy »

Thank you. I did a search but that particular post never showed up. I guess I used the wrong key words.
ell02
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why no kernel update in update manager?

Post by ell02 »

This is just my opinion , not fact.i believe it is for safety,with the many hardwares out there in use someone is bound to have an issue with a new kernal.I know i have in the past.If you really want a new kernal synaptic will give it to you just update through there.But if everything is working well for you... why bother

(edit) now i see
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=41348

Return to “Newbie Questions”