which drive to load mint onto? (sorted)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
suejames24
Level 2
Level 2

which drive to load mint onto? (sorted)

Post by suejames24 »

i have two hard drives on my pc, the first with xp on, the second that i use to back up photos music etc. im thinking of putting mint onto the second drive (its not partitioned) but im worried about loosing the photos etc, what advice can u give me please. im completely new to linux. best wishes sue.
Last edited by suejames24 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StanTheMan
Level 5
Level 5

Re: which drive to load mint onto?

Post by StanTheMan »

What file system is formatted on your second drive, and how much 'Free Space' (without files) does it have.
It is possible to reduce the size of its one partition , using either WinXP disk management , or using a Live Linux disk with GParted (Gnome Partition Editor), thereby creating unformatted space.
Then GPaqrted could create three Logical Partitions (the common way of installing Linux).
suejames24
Level 2
Level 2

Post by suejames24 »

hi stan, have decided to take the plunge and try and install it on my main drive and dual boot it. i just hope it works. sue.
_h_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by _h_ »

suejames24 wrote:i have two hard drives on my pc, the first with xp on, the second that i use to back up photos music etc. im thinking of putting mint onto the second drive (its not partitioned) but im worried about loosing the photos etc, what advice can u give me please. im completely new to linux. best wishes sue.
If you have the space, you can backup all your data on the second drive into your first one just in case something happens.

Hope it works out for you, and also welcome to you as a fellow new Mintie. :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”