VMWare and Linux mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tvm1901
Level 1
Level 1

VMWare and Linux mint

Post by tvm1901 »

HI all

Im looking to install a virtual machine in Mint, I have tried Virtualbox but I am having problems with it recognizing USB devices to transfer files (even with full version of virtualbox from the official website) which is something I need to do within the VM. Because of this I am now looking towards installing VMWare server. Im just getting to grips with mint and linux and I am unsure of which download to choose whether to go for a tarball or a rpm download. Which is most suitable for mint editions.

TIA :D
Patience is a virtue
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: VMWare and Linux mint

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

tvm1901 wrote:I have tried Virtualbox but I am having problems with it recognizing USB devices to transfer files (even with full version of virtualbox from the official website) which is something I need to do within the VM.
afaik, if the usb device you are referring to is an ordinary mass storage device (usb flash drive, etc.) you can just directly transfer files within mint itself, no need to use a virtual machine. otoh, if the device you're referring to requires a driver to be installed, you'll have to do that first in the guest machine.

the description to your main problem is a tad vague. would you kindly elaborate what kind of usb device you're referring to?
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
tvm1901
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tvm1901 »

Hi there

Sorry if I was not clear enough! What I need is a VM that can run WinXP/7 for various applications that I use, and I also will need to transfer files from Mint to the VM via a standard USB Memory stick which does not require drivers. Under Virtualbox It will not let me access the USB stick. I can see the USB stick in the USB devices but I am unable to highlight it to select it. I have tried both the repo version and free full version but to no avail.

Because of this I want to try alternative VM's such as VMWare to try and get around this problem but I am unsure as to what download is more suitable to Mint - Tarball or RPM
Patience is a virtue
tvm1901
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tvm1901 »

In the end I went for the tarball. I have managed to extract it without any problems but I am unable to install the file. I see the installation file called vmware-install.pl but it has a lock on the icon and I am unable to run the command via terminal.

Patience is a virtue
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

tvm1901 wrote:I can see the USB stick in the USB devices but I am unable to highlight it to select it. I have tried both the repo version and free full version but to no avail.
ah, now that's more clear :D

now, without abandoning virtualbox, there are two ways of sharing files between the host and guest o/s:
(1) set up a shared folder in the guest o/s so you can access it from mint and vice-versa. no need to go through virtualbox anymore just to attach your usb drive. refer to this related topic.
(2) if you still want to use your usb drive within the guest o/s, you'll have to make your account a member of the vboxusers group. to do that, go to control center > system group > users and groups. click the key icon and enter your password. highlight your login name and click properties. go to the user privileges tab, scroll down the list and put a check mark on the box labeled 'Use Virtualbox.' apply the changes and reboot your computer. you should now be able to use your usb drive within the guest o/s.

hth.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

p.s. try the work-arounds i posted above first before you resort to using vmware (not that i don't like vmware -- it's just that i know virtualbox more). and don't get discouraged just because some things do not work readily as expected :D
galher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by galher »

i want to install VMware but i am lost.
can someowe please give me the link for VMware virtual machine?
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

VMWare and VirtualBox are both in the Synaptic Manager. No need to download anything off the net.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

There is usually no problem using USB devices with virtualbox, however here are some links

Ubuntu 9.10 ~ Mint 8, Ubuntu 9.04 ~ Mint 7
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-instal ... armic.html
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install ... buntu.html

A comparison..
http://www.infoworld.com/d/virtualizati ... 5?page=0,0
  • Still, VirtualBox delivers a combination of features that you simply cannot find outside of VMware, including USB device integration and 64-bit guest OS support. Add to this the killer price (free) and you have the makings of a cult classic. And though VirtualBox doesn't measure up to VMware Workstation today, don't count Sun out. As one of the preeminent engineering powerhouses, the company has the talent and resources to make a serious run at anyone it targets. VMware had better not let its guard down anytime soon.
Vmware, of course concentrates on enterprise integration, not necessarily the area that SUN is providing with virtualbox
--although it can obvious help small business, if they need a VM application at all.

As to virtualbox and usb devices..
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-F ... 1715.shtml
http://linuxmini.blogspot.com/2007/10/v ... u-and.html
Last edited by DrHu on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathazar102
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mathazar102 »

Hello! Whenever you go to install something on Mint use a tarball or a .deb file...don't use a .rpm. RPMs are used for some other Linux distros (such as Fedora) while .deb files are used for Linux operating systems based off of Debian. RPMs and .deb files (they are both examples of package systems) essentially accomplish the same task, they are just used for different distros.

I like both VMware and VirtualBox. So far I haven't had any problems with USB devices when I use VirtualBox....so far anyway. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”