[Solved] Trouble launching an application... Where is it?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sam500
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Trouble launching an application... Where is it?

Post by sam500 »

I'm trying to launch a program (Abcde cd ripper) but am unable to find it in the list of applications under the menu.

I used to have an icon on the desk top but that has gone too. I've searched for the program in Nautilus but am unsure which file I can use to launch it.

Any help appreciated thanks. I'm sure all of this can be done from the command line but am too much of a novice to know how at the moment.
Last edited by sam500 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LMDE
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Trouble launching an application... Where is it?

Post by richyrich »

abcde is a command line tool (run from the terminal), so you won't find it in the menu.
abcde is a command line (CLI) CD encoder. It will read your CD, contact a CDDB provider, download the track information, rip your CD and store all the encoded tracks in the tree layout you define.
It supports multiple encoders for several formats, such as FLAC, Ogg/Vorbis, MP3,... and will use one single rip to create as many output formats as you want.
http://lly.org/~rcw/abcde/page/abcde.1.html

This link gives a small blurb about abcde, and an example command line.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CDRip ... ping%29%29
sam500
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Trouble launching an application... Where is it?

Post by sam500 »

Ah, ok thank you. For some reason I thought it had a GUI. Maybe I was confusing it with another app. I will read the blurb and have a go at launching from the command line :idea:
LMDE

Return to “Newbie Questions”