How to uninstall mint 8

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mdtom

How to uninstall mint 8

Post by mdtom »

I had mint helena installed but the livecd was corrupted, so I would like to uninstall the current version and reinstall it from my newly burned livecd
how do I uninstall ?

mdtom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
piratesmack

Re: How to uninstall mint 8

Post by piratesmack »

Just install the new one over it. Make sure you format the partition you install to.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Once you burn a new Live CD (and checked the md5sum as well as disk integrity), run the installer again and this time, select the manual partition method. Select the partition where the corrupted copy of Mint resides, and tick the format box next to it, and proceed with the installation. It should write over that corrupt partition and you'll have a non-corrupt copy of Mint.

As a side note, since you're reinstalling with the manual method, don't forget to specify a "/swap" partition (especially if you have low RAM or want to be able to hibernate) as well as the "/" partition. Better yet, make a seperate "/home" partition as well to separate your data from the OS itself. I'd also recommend a "/boot" partition just in case you decide to install other Linux distros later on, and even if you don't, I just find it a good idea to separate Grub's files from the OS as well. For more advanced partitioning strategies, please check http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=13252 if you haven't done so already.
mdtom

Post by mdtom »

Great info's thanks a lot....................

Return to “Beginner Questions”