Linux Mint 8 KDE Helena Installation Problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
peacovg

Post by peacovg »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 91#p254265

SERIOUS LOCK UPS and HARD RESETS CONSISTENYLY ENCOUNTERED!!!

Postby peacovg on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 pm
Since I am a "Noob" I hope I am placing this plea for help in the right forum space. Anyway I am experiencing serious problems with my installation of Linux Mint 8 Helena KDE on my Notebook. My configuration is a HP Pavilion dv7-1285dx with 6 Gib RAM, Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT with 512Mib Memory, and a 500 GiB Toshiba HD. The problem is I am able to get to the desktop after installation. However when the desktop comes up I get audio with an interrupted pulsing and popping noise and it seems to allow access to all my applications without sound or wtih intermittent sound and noise. For example I cannot get sound out of videos or they hang without any sound. Also, I cannot get the sound from "you tube" videos to play at all. The system sometimes hangs as a result before it releases me to the desktop. If I try to logout or shutdown the system nothing happens. I have to remove the battery to do a reset. I have downloaded all of the recent updates but that does not seem to help at all. What could be wrong here? I'm at wits end because I don't know what is causing this issue. Please help. Vince

Postby pompom on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:30 am
Welcome to Linux Mint!

It sounds like you are having problems with the driver for your sound card. The first item to check after the installation is

Code: Select all
dmesg | less

If there is nothing obvious there, check out the excellent troubleshooting guide here. If you are still unsure, try installing from fresh media. A lot of hard to track down errors after an install are 99% of the time due to faulty iso image.

Cheers,

pompom
Level 3

Postby peacovg on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:29 pm
Thanks for your reply to my request for help. I tried all the options that you presented to no avail. You are definitely right about the audio card chipset and drivers being an issue because upon trying these options I found that there is a bug in the audio adapter (HDA Intel (Stac 92xx Analog) that is causing the severe lock ups and hard resets. Do you know If the development team is aware of this issue with audio cards? Everything else so far seems to work ok. Anybody else?? Vince
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jay514

Re: Linux Mint 8 KDE Helena Installation Problem

Post by Jay514 »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux, Linux Mint.
Yes I am sure they are aware, you can find a lot of info if you type your issue into the search box here & or ubuntu forums, Ex= dv7-1245 sound problems.
Sometimes you have to patch the ALSA sound controller in order to get everything in working order. To find these patches, & or mods just search as described & find another user whom has the same hardware listed as yours & read the steps that they done in order to resolve the issue.
You can also look at the HOW To here, it is an older post but comprehensive = http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=32293
I hope this helps you,
Jay514 :mrgreen:
argonavis

Re: Linux Mint 8 KDE Helena Installation Problem

Post by argonavis »

If you are lucky:
Try clicking the speaker icon in the tray (kmix). Bring up the sound mixer,
which should have a number (variable) of slider bars. The one labeled pcm
is likely to be at zero level. Raise it, and maybe you'll be OK.

If you're not so lucky, look here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/411574

or maybe here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1153133

Return to “Beginner Questions”