VirtualBox Error in Linux Mint [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mathazar102
Level 1
Level 1

VirtualBox Error in Linux Mint [Solved]

Post by mathazar102 »

Hello! I have just installed VirtualBox in Linux Mint (Gloria). I am planning on using VirtualBox to work with other Linux distros that I use in college such as Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu client, and Fedora (I also would like to experiment with Solaris). I used MintInstall to install VirtualBox and then created a virtual machine with an Ubuntu iso "inserted" in the virtual CD-ROM drive. When I tried to start the virtual machine I received the following error in the first window:

"Virtual machine 'Ubuntu_Client' has terminated unexpectedly during startup.

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Machine
Interface:
IMachine {ea6fb7ea-1993-4642-b113-f29eb39e0df0}"

I then received another error window that said the following:
"VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Re-setup the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. Users of Ubuntu or Fedora should install the DKMS package at first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary."

First, I tried typing sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup at the command line but it said "Command not found". I used the locate command but it did not find vboxdrv in any other directory.

I also checked to make sure that the DKMS package and virtual-ose-source package were installed. Has anyone else ran into this issue before? Does anybody have any advice of how to fix this issue? I would like to thank you all in advance! :)
Last edited by mathazar102 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: VirtualBox Error in Linux Mint

Post by remoulder »

Uninstall the virtualbox ose that you have installed and download and install the Sun virtualbox from here.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu »

I found i had that error every time I loaded virtualbox and had to run that command each time, however the command worked for me.

I have since found a solution to avoid having to do it each time. Like Remoulder said, it may be best to reinstall it. I personally downloaded the most recent version from the website, not too sure if its the same one that remoulder has linked to.
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

beefstu wrote:not too sure if its the same one that remoulder has linked to
The latest but probably not the same as the OP is running Gloria :)

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri »

I would suggest getting the Sun version as remoulder and beefstu suggested, but I think it's a better idea to add the repository than directly install the deb. If you add the repository you will get any available updates for Virtualbox, whereas with the deb you will have to manually find and download it with every new update/release.

Instructions here -> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Go to Software Sources in the mainMenu under Administration. Go to Other Software and add the following

Code: Select all

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian karmic non-free
Then open a terminal and type the following

wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/sun_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
Then to install Virtualbox 3.1, either open up Package Manager, refresh the packages and install it, or enter this command in terminal

apt update && apt install virtualbox-3.1
beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu »

Good idea, however as they are running Gloria, should it be Jaunty instaead of Karmic in the first piece of code?
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.
dwflo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dwflo »

proxima_centauri wrote:I would suggest getting the Sun version as remoulder and beefstu suggested, but I think it's a better idea to add the repository than directly install the deb. If you add the repository you will get any available updates for Virtualbox, whereas with the deb you will have to manually find and download it with every new update/release.
proxima_centauri, I have installed the Virtualbox deb from the Sun website, it will notify you of updates.
As far as installing the deb versus using the version in the Mint repository, it downloaded the dependencies automatically.
The repository version of Virtualbox, would not function properly, i.e. I could not run 64bit OSes on my 64bit Helena. Installing the downloaded deb from Sun, corrected that situation.

Dave
mathazar102
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mathazar102 »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I had shut down my laptop and then restarted it later in the evening. I tried starting up the Ubuntu virtual machine...and it worked! :o I wonder why it would work with just restarting it when it acted like there was a package missing. Well, I guess if anybody has a similar problem after installing VirtualBox via MintInstall, restart your computer and see what happens.
MuzikJay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MuzikJay »

mathazar102 wrote:Thank you all for your suggestions. I had shut down my laptop and then restarted it later in the evening. I tried starting up the Ubuntu virtual machine...and it worked! :o I wonder why it would work with just restarting it when it acted like there was a package missing. Well, I guess if anybody has a similar problem after installing VirtualBox via MintInstall, restart your computer and see what happens.

Best advice imaginable! seriously, out of all of the technical this and that, this is the only thing that worked lol
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

MuzikJay wrote:Best advice imaginable!
You'd be amazed at how many so called problems a simple reboot solves :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”