faster downloading?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Dražen
Level 1
Level 1

faster downloading?

Post by Dražen »

hi,does anyone know if there are any programs or something like that that makes your downloading faster?.
Maybe it's a stupid question,but i'm a newbie so... :)
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: faster downloading?

Post by grimdestripador »

Install snake oil. I'm sure it will lubricate those tubes to be running in tip top condition.

Or perhaps you can get "sudo apt-get install axel" and it will allow segmented downloading. Thus saturating your existing connection, it will utilize your connection, making the download faster, but it will not directly make your connection faster.

There is no such thing as true faster downloading, it all depends on how marketing defines fast. There are programs that you can install in windows that are designed for a direct link to DSL (no router or acesspoint). They change the lenths of the data requested such that It could be large for downloads or small for low latency. None of this works with common setups of network + router + modem. And those delays and preferred sizes are editable in linux. But don't do this as routers and switches will restructure them anyway.

Someone tell me i'm wrong and lets get some faster connections.
mathazar102
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mathazar102 »

Like Grimdestripador said, you can use axel. Honestly, this post is the first time I had ever heard of axel so I decided to google it. Here is an interesting article that describes axel and prozilla (an alternative to axel that has a GUI and unlike axel, allows you to specify a FTP username and password). The URL of this article is below:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/download- ... tools.html

Let me know if this actually helps your download speed....maybe I should give it a try! :D
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

I just tried Axel myself and it's about 33% faster than wget on average for me, tested by downloading the latest kernel build. It's a pretty nifty tool. ;)
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
Nickpick
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nickpick »

This is a pretty lazy solution, but I still like using the Download 'em All add-on for Firefox. Worked like a charm so far.
"Critical thinking isn't typically an attribute of human mind..." ~~ Richard Dawkins
Toshiba Satellite A100-691; ATI Mobility Radeon x1400; Intel Centrino CoreDuo T2250
ASUS Eee 1002HA
Dražen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dražen »

thank you guys,i'll try with given suggestions.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

Opera has turbo mode built in, using their proxy servers to cache data the purpose of which is to help with slower network connections.
http://www.addictivetips.com/internet-t ... enable-it/
RadioActiveRice
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RadioActiveRice »

Depend on what and where you download. I perfer BITtorrent client. Transmission works great. I can get speed like 600kb/s and downloading large files can be done in multiple session.
Knowledge is free.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

RadioActiveRice wrote:Depend on what and where you download. I perfer BITtorrent client. Transmission works great. I can get speed like 600kb/s and downloading large files can be done in multiple session.
...Pertaining to this discussion... How do you speed up your bit-torrent fies. Do you perhaps use port forwarding from your router. Do you use a bit torrent client which uses outbound packets to a server to open up those ports. How about seeding before downloading, or becomming a supernode. Perhaps you get one of those false-ratio-reporting bit torrent clients, or your so inclined to edit the source yourself, but don't the network code include protection against false reporting.
cra1g321
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cra1g321 »

If your downloading from File-Hosting websites like Hotfile, Rapidshare etc, you should give JDownloader a try. Its free and easy to use. You will need java installed to run it. I get alot faster speeds using it rather than a browser, it has a few great features, for example it can tell you if a file is available or if its offline, and it automates the process of downloading multiple files from mutilple websites. It can also be used if your just downloading from normal websites.

http://jdownloader.org/
PC - Gigabyte 970A-DS3 AMD 970 , AMD Bulldozer FX-4 4170, Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB 1600MHz C9, Zotac Geforce 8800GT AMP Edition, OS's = Linux / WIN7

Return to “Newbie Questions”