Moved /home now where's the trash going?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
helgatheviking

Moved /home now where's the trash going?

Post by helgatheviking »

I followed the Linux Mint instructions to move the /home folder. Or I think more correctly just mount another partition in its place and call that home. So now I am curious as to where files deleted from the home folder go. They no longer go to the normal Trash/Recycle bin. Can I point the trash bin to wherever those deleted files are going? Can there be 2 trashes? One for each partition?

Sorry for the 2 quick posts, but this seemed sufficiently unrelated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Moved /home now where's the trash going?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

In the newer versions of mint, if you Delete a file it is gone. To send a file or object to the trash, use the command "Move to Trash" (it's just above Delete)
helgatheviking

Post by helgatheviking »

ok. so the delete key REALLY deletes things. i guess i don't agree w/ that as a default behavior, but atleast now I know why it is doing that instead of sending files to the trash. Thanks!
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I should have mentioned earlier that programs are not really gone when you delete them. There is a copy of everything installed on your computer in /var/cache/apt/archives. If you uninstall an app then reinstall it, you will notice that the reinstall does not require a download. The app is reinstalled from /var/cache/apt/archives.

AS long as you do not clear the archive folder, nothing is really lost.

Sorry to mislead you earlier by saying that deleted programs were gone.
helgatheviking

Post by helgatheviking »

Thanks for the head's up. I am not worried so much about programs. I was wondering about files mostly. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”