[solved] desktop effects/ i've broke my mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

[solved] desktop effects/ i've broke my mint

Post by daveinuk »

I was fiddling around with the desktop effects like you do when you're a newb and the novelty hasn't yet worn off . . . . and i've managed to break my mint !
maybe what i changed was too much for the processor or something, it's only a laptop after all . . . i can boot up but as soon as i try to enter my pass to unlock the key, the lot freezes and i can't get past it. i rebotted a couple of times and went into the safe boot mode but the same happened again. i also got a terminal at one point but i didn't know how to do anything!

is there a way i can undo the changes i made through the terminal and how do i get into that during the boot process please :roll:
Last edited by daveinuk on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: desktop effects/ i've broke my mint

Post by richyrich »

At the login screen, click your username so the password window opens, then below on the taskbar, find the session menu, choose "failsafe Gnome" . . then login . .
Then when the screen pops up with the terminal window, type mv ~/.gconf/apps/compiz ~/compizsettingsbackup . reboot . .
This should reset compiz to its default settings, but keep the ones you had backed up in your home folder just in case.

good luck, richy :)

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

cant even get into that now. . . . . . .

i've got a black screen with the following:

/dev/sda5: unexpected inconsistency run fsk manually (i.e without -a or -p options)
mountall fsck 1513 terminated with status 4
mountall filesystem has errors:/
init: mountall main process 1504 terminated with status 3
mount of file system failed
a maintainence shell will now be started
control-d will terminate this shell and re-try
give root password for maintainence
(or type control-d to continue ):

then when i put my pass in it just tells me login incorrect . . . . . .

so . . . . is this like format/reinstall serious cos it doesn't sound good on the face of it . . . . i think i found the laptops graphical limits . . .

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

shut down and restart and chose to boot normally as the safe mode didnt work, this time it let me enter my pass but i get mount of filesysyem failed.

when i enter my pass i get

bash: /usr/bin/mint-fortune: no such file or directory
root@dave~#

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

[solved] Re: desktop effects/ i've broke my mint

Post by daveinuk »

decided at this stage it'd be quicker to format/ reinstall and stop messing around with the desktop flashy effects that got me into the mess :shock:

it's just reinstalled in twenty minutes . . . . if i'd have got round to making a back up it might have been quicker !

another valuable lesson learned . . . . many thanks for trying anyway rich !

regards

dave

RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [solved] desktop effects/ i've broke my mint

Post by RedWagon »

decided at this stage it'd be quicker to format/ reinstall and stop messing around with the desktop flashy effects that got me into the mess
uh, Compiz didn't cause this.

Code: Select all

/dev/sda5: unexpected inconsistency run fsk manually (i.e without -a or -p options)

Code: Select all

bash: /usr/bin/mint-fortune: no such file or directory
root@dave~#
This is hard drive corruption, messing with compiz was probably just a coincidence. Once this happens there's a good chance it's going to happen again and again until your HD is unusable. I just recently had the same problem on my netbook, now I'm just booting off an SD card because I kept loosing data on the HD. Things might work for awhile, but I would recommend getting a new hard drive just to be safe. If you don't feel like shelling out quite yet (very understandable), just be prepared to loose everything again.

Also don't abandon the flashy effects quite yet, I've been using Linux for years and the novelty still hasn't worn off. (The admins here make fun of me for still using the Fire effect :D)

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: [solved] desktop effects/ i've broke my mint

Post by daveinuk »

ok . . . . . i'll bear it in mind . . . . . all seems to have been ok so far installing and formatting etc and the laptops run great when its been on a roll . . . . but if it does keep going pear shaped i'll just get another drive, the machine was only pretty cheap really and i did kind of buy it to practise on and try and learn about linux so i'll just consider it part of the learning curve

thanks for the input i appreciate it :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”