SOLVED: Suddenly unable to access external drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deeplyconfused

SOLVED: Suddenly unable to access external drive

Post by deeplyconfused »

Hi

Everything was working fine until I rebooted recently. Now when I try to access an external drive "local" I get a message:
Unable to mount local
Authentication is required
How do I fix it?

d_c
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Suddenly unable to access external drive

Post by remoulder »

Please follow the simple forum rules in the Red bar at the top.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

Please follow the simple forum rules in the Red bar at the top.
Unless I'm missing something his post looks fine, a little vague but that's normal. Did you post in the wrong thread?

deeplyconfused,
Run the following and paste back:

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
ls -l /media/
Is this an external USB drive that you're trying to access through the sidebar of Nautilus?
ashwinhgtx

Post by ashwinhgtx »

deeplyconfused wrote:Hi

Everything was working fine until I rebooted recently. Now when I try to access an external drive "local" I get a message:
Unable to mount local
Authentication is required
How do I fix it?

d_c

What filesystem is the drive formatted in?
magump

Post by magump »

I have had this happen to me from time to time with an external USB Hard Drive. Although I cannot give you a technical fix for the problem, I restore the drive by unplugging it, wait about 30 seconds, plug it in again and it is instantly recognized. As I said, sorry I couldn't help with the more technical answer.
deeplyconfused

Post by deeplyconfused »

Many thanks for the help everyone!

I restarted the machine and it works fine.

Doh!

Return to “Beginner Questions”