[SOLVED] Replace Ubuntu with Mint on WinXP dual boot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Replace Ubuntu with Mint on WinXP dual boot

Post by Reljoy »

I have a computer set up to dual boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.10.
I want to remove Ubuntu and put Mint on instead so that I then have a Windows XP / Linux Mint dual boot system.
I can't find anything about removing a version of Linux and replacing it with another Linux version. (I can find plenty about removing the Linux part and going back to Windows fully.)
Can anyone point me to a link that explains how to replace one version of Linux with another on a Win dual boot system? Surely there must be lots of people wanting to do this?
regards,
Reljoy
Last edited by Reljoy on Fri May 14, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Replace Ubuntu with Mint on WinXP dual boot

Post by RedWagon »

Assuming you don't want to back anything up from your Ubuntu install it's pretty simple. Just launch the Mint installer and when you get to partitioning select Manual. Find the partition your Ubuntu install was on, highlight it and click edit. Check the format box and change the mount point to /. If Use As isn't set, set it to whatever Ubuntu was formatted as (probably ext4).

The biggest thing is just make sure you don't format your NTFS drive, as long as you don't do that everything should be fine. Mint should overwrite Ubuntu's grub install, automatically find Windows and add it to the menu also.

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

One more thing: it may be a smart idea to backup your /etc and /home directories, in case you have any data you want.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

Thanks. I'll give that a go.

Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

That worked great. Thanks. Problem solved.

Return to “Newbie Questions”