How to permently remap mouse buttons

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
agntgrey
Level 1
Level 1

How to permently remap mouse buttons

Post by agntgrey » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi all,

So I had an issue with the buttons on a new mouse I bought and found out that the fix was to remap the buttons:

xinput set-button-map "Mouse Name Here" 1 0 3 4 5 0 0 0

But here is the problem. Whenever I shut down the machine the mapping goes right back to what it was. Looking around on the net I have seen people reference .xstartup and .xinit as a fix:

"...plug that line into my ~/.xstartup or other init file. It can also be done via fdi files..."

But being a complete noob and all I don't really know how to do this. Looking around in my file system I can't find any of these files to edit. Anyone out there want to give me some help on how to remap the mouse on startup?

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: How to permently remap mouse buttons

Post by Aging Technogeek » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:53 pm

If you look closely at the file names you mention, you will see a "." before the name. This indicates that they are hidden files. Go to your home folder , click on the "View" menu and click "Show Hidden Files". The files you want will be there.
Registered Linux User 483387

agntgrey
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to permently remap mouse buttons

Post by agntgrey » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:54 pm

Tried looking for hidden files throughout my machine and I cannot find anything labeled like what I saw posted. Just so everyone knows what I am referring to, here is the ubuntu post that I used to remap my buttons.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input

The example about disabling middle mouse button is just like what I have done. Any help would be great.

Return to “Newbie Questions”