What is the best way to install the latest stable Chromium?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Viper2
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best way to install the latest stable Chromium?

Post by Viper2 »

Anyone know?

Thanks.
Running Linux Mint 8 32-bit and Win XP Pro 32-bit on dual boot system.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: What is the best way to install the latest stable Chromi

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I've had good luck with the Softpedia site. You have your choice of the stable beta or the bleeding edge alpha. Whichever you choose, the download also installs the proper repositories in Synaptic so from that point on, you get all updates through Update Manager.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Internet ... 8046.shtml
Registered Linux User 483387

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri »

In case you wanted Chromium as per your title (not really *stable*) instead of Chrome (stable), you can add the daily build PPA from launchpad. -> https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa
One sweep in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chromium-daily/ppa && apt update && apt install chromium-browser

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

The fastest and easiest-to-maintain way would be to use the Chromium PPA on Launchpad, I'd say, instead of downloading directly from Google Chrome's website or building and installing it yourself. Just remember that Chromium will never be "stable"; it's always going to be a work in progress. Only Google Chrome offers a "stable" version, but I find that Chromium beta is extremely stable and haven't had it crash a single time at all. ;)
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

zerokool wrote:Actually by far the fastest & easiest way to get the latest stable Chrome browser is by using Ubuntu Tweak http://ubuntu-tweak.com/ you can also get loads of apps and app sources listed as either ppa's for testing or 'stable' ppa's or repo's, if you ask me its a damn site better than typing a load of unintuitive garbage into a terminal.

Ubuntu Tweak is probably the "killer app" for Linux newbies, maybe even non newbies aswell :wink:
Believe it or not, Tweak is not the answer to everything. You are the one spewing "unintuitive garbage" all over the forums. Kindly refrain in the future :)
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

Hmmm...while I agree that Tweak is not the answer to everything, of course, and I personally find adding repos and installing apps in the Terminal much more easier and quicker, Ubuntu Tweak is great for newbies who have not yet been enlightened by the capabilities of a terminal. Kaye, I think zerokool genuinely wanted to provide some help to the OP, and regardless, there are often many ways to do the same task in Linux, and one is really no better than the other.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

vincent,
I would suggest you take a look at his other posts.. If this were just a simple answer to the question I wouldn't have said a word. GUIs have their place, and Tweak actually isn't bad in this case.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

vincent wrote:regardless, there are often many ways to do the same task in Linux, and one is really no better than the other
So true. When it comes to installing Firefox or Google Chrome, I prefer to go to Mozilla or Google, download it, and install it. Seems simple enough to me, and straightforward, but I've noticed that other folks don't like that approach, for whatever reasons. To each her/his own.

Depending on the distro version you're using, it might not be so easy to get Chromium (rather than Google Chrome) installed. For someone like me, using Mint 5, I don't know if I can easily get it installed in Elyssa.

I installed Chromium in Mepis 8 from the Mepis Community Repos, but that one doesn't get kept up-to-date, so I don't use it much.

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

Kaye wrote:vincent,
I would suggest you take a look at his other posts.. If this were just a simple answer to the question I wouldn't have said a word. GUIs have their place, and Tweak actually isn't bad in this case.
I see what you're talking about now...I still can't figure out why he's so averse to the terminal though. Oh well. :P

Return to “Newbie Questions”