Write to an ISO image [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
BigSteve_G
Level 4
Level 4

Write to an ISO image [SOLVED]

Post by BigSteve_G »

Is anyone aware of a way (or a program I can use) to write to an existing ISO image?

To set the scene I've used APTonCD to create an ISO with all the programs on I want so that the next time I install Mint I can just put in the CD & install a lot of programs in one go with Package Manager. Thats worked fine & I have the ISO ready for CD but I would like a way to change it a bit so that I can add some of my own custom setup scripts (stuff to set up user accounts & so on) then every thing I need is all on one CD / DVD

-I've mounted it with archive mounter but its read-only.
Last edited by BigSteve_G on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've fixed Windows, tried running with Jackalopes, fought Koalas & now, I'm addicted to Mints

Now with half a decade running Linux mint, still enjoying it & still learning!

http://www.facebook.com/itsbigsteve

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Write to an ISO image

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Have you investigated using Remastersys or Clonezilla to take the process one step farther and copy your entire Mint installation as an ISO file and burn it to a bootable DVD? It is a relatively easy operation and you have, effectively, a snapshot of your OS that you can use to reinstall with all apps and personal data in place.

Remastersys:

http://maketecheasier.com/backup-ubuntu ... 2008/12/22

Clonezilla:

http://clonezilla.org/
Registered Linux User 483387

Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silent Warrior »

Ooooh, you seek IsoMaster!

(Gotta paraphrase Star Wars some time...)

Code: Select all

apt install isomaster
The upper window/tab will be your data-source, and the lower the resulting image. (It'll make sense when you see it for yourself.)

BigSteve_G
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BigSteve_G »

Thanks for the replies. I have just managed to get what I was after with ISOmaster but - Just to check I added to it a directory with files to which I am the only user with any kind or access & when I use the CD on another machine only ROOT can access it. Have the directories & files permissions also been copied?
Anyways its not a problem as I can sort that.

As for using Remastersys or Clonezilla thanks for the suggestion but its not a backup as such Im wanting but a 'show off disc', basically when someone brings me their PC to fix I try converting them to Mint by installing it then with another cd install alot of programs & run some scripts to modify how things look then say "Beat that with Windows - oh you cant"

Remastersys? doesn't that create modified Mint installs? - because I'm thinking I could yous it to put everything on 1 DVD
I've fixed Windows, tried running with Jackalopes, fought Koalas & now, I'm addicted to Mints

RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RedWagon »

The most basic tool for editing .iso's is mkisofs. It's not as user friendly as some of the other mentions, but it gets the job done and is easy to add to a script if you're doing this a lot. I use it for pushing changes to Tiny Core .iso's

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

EIther Remastersys or Clonezilla will get you a modified Mint DVD if that is what you want. Install basic Mint, add and/or subtract any apps you want to change, set any wallpaper, window theme, icon theme, screensaver, whatever; run Remastersys or Clonezilla and you will have an ISO 9660 file suitable for burning to a DVD and using to reinstall Mint on your computer.

One iteration of Remastersys will remove all personal data and computer specific config files to allow construction of a modified Mint ISO that can be used to install Mint on any computer. I've never used Clonezilla, but I believe it will do the same thing.
Registered Linux User 483387

BigSteve_G
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Write to an ISO image [SOLVED]

Post by BigSteve_G »

I've got RemasterSys installed but no icon & no idea how to start it - any ideas?

Return to “Newbie Questions”