Missing Login Screen?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
airybear

Missing Login Screen?

Post by airybear »

Hi, my name is Kyle, and I'm an alcoholic... But not really. Lol. Anyways, it's been a couple years since I've been in any close use with any Linux distro, so I've probably forgot more than I think, so if my questions are odd, sorry.

Okay, so long story short, I was installing packages through the terminal, and meaning to leave the computer on overnight and resume my 50,000 terminal tackle in the morning, I accidently hit the power button, and oddly enough, the screen only went out instead of turning off like it usually does. I don't know. Anyways, once I booted up, it ran a routine "file system check" and of course, found that the mount on sdb5 (my boot drive) was corrupted from bad and/or duplicated sectors. So after manually running "fsck" and tapping Ctrl+D, the system rebooted and the gde started up, but there was no login screen. The two dot things, the background, and my mouse did appear though.

Since used the terminal as root on whatever the first "screen" (Ctrl+Alt+F1) is, and have run multiple file system checks, fixing the same problems each time, repairing packages such as xserver-xorg and gdm (and others I thought might be the root of my issues), and reinstalling others. I don't know if it is the source of the problem, but I was in the process of installing glib and gtk+ updates, since the system came oddly set for other packages, which has caused me similar, but not irrepairable, troubles before (shame on me for not learning). What I want to do now is I suppose completely reinstall all of gnome, unless that isn't the problem with the login screen. Anyone know how to do that inside the system without downloading and configuring packages? Or do you think that there is something else wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Kyle
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Re: Missing Login Screen?

Post by RedWagon »

gdm is separate from gnome so reinstall gnome won't help anything. Try this:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
airybear

Post by airybear »

Alas, I have already tried that. Forgive me, I should have put "reconfigure" instead of "repair". But that, along with everything else, goes through without issue, but has virtually no effect on my system. Is the login screen part of the gdm?
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

The login screen is gdm. Without gdm your computer will boot to the command line and you have to manually start X once you log in.

Return to “Beginner Questions”