Opera Web Browser...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Opera Web Browser...

Post by vincent » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:49 pm

cebalrai wrote:
vincent wrote:My advice for you is to try out Firefox for a few weeks, try out Opera for a few weeks, then make your own judgment. The browser wars will never end and there will never be a clear consensus on which browser is the most stable/fast/featureful/compatible/cool/whatever. If you're really inclined, you could just do a Google search on something like "firefox vs opera on linux", but the fact is that you'll hardly be able to find any non-biased answers. Remember, one of the great things about Linux is freedom of choice. Only you can determine whether it was worthwhile to have checked something out, but I encourage you to do so because it's what makes computing fun. :D

If you really want my opinion though, I'm a fan of Chromium (open-source upstream version of Google Chrome). It's powered by the Webkit rendering engine and Google's in-house V8 javascript engine, so if there's one thing going for it, it's pure speed, which I think is pure awesomeness. Of course, Chromium's (and Opera's) available extensions aren't quite comparable to Firefox's huge repository of addons, but I don't need the vast majority of them, and addons tend to make your browser a bit sluggish, if you install a whole slew of unnecessary ones.
Early reviews are saying that Firefox 3.6 much faster than 3.5 8)
Only by about 20% faster, or around 200 ms, I believe. Still feels slower than Chromium, in my opinion.

Also, craig10x, Opera has yet to release Opera 10.50 for Linux. Since it's proprietary software, you have to wait for the original vendors to release a Linux version. -_-
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks Vincent...yes i see from their website that the final version of 10.50 for Linux is probably due out the end of May....
Although i was wondering how it works as far as getting an upgrade to it...through Mint's package manager or software center? Or is Opera self-upgradable when you click on the help menu in it and it finds a new version to upgrade to?

I have to say that two issues i had with Mint (for myself) that kept me fleeing back to Ubuntu was: 1) A problem i had with slow loading of the ABC radio network streams with Mint's M Player Plug in (which got solved when ABC put on a superior stream tuner in which my streams loads immediately)...and with Fonts and Rendering on Firefox in Mint (not on applications in Mint which were fine) that seemed better on Ubuntu.... (switching to Opera solved that one, as i am finding that Opera itself..and even on Mint, gives you terrific Fonts and Font Rendering automatically)....

So, i am very happy now that i can stay with Linux Mint (my favorite) and look forward to upgrading to Mint 9 :D

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:15 pm

Because Opera is proprietary software and as far as I know, they do not maintain any updated repositories for Ubuntu/Mint, you'll have to get Opera directly from Opera's website when the Linux version of 10.50 is finally released. I believe that they will likely crank out a .deb version, so you can install it via GDebi easily.

In the meantime, if you're really eager to get the latest version of Opera, you may want to try out an Alpha version of Opera 10.50, which can be found here: http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/snapshot-6326/ (choose either the tarball or deb package that corresponds with your architecture)
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks Vincent...That would be no problem at all...I love deb files because they are as easy to install as a windows file... :)
I like that a deb package will automatically set itself up in the Package Manager (for easy deletion should you decide to remove the program) as well as adding it to the menu automatically...

Appreciate the tip about the beta...though i think i will probably wait for the final release, since it is just a few weeks away... :wink:

At that time, i will probably just delete the 10.10 version i am using now, and install the deb file of 10.50 and start fresh...
Appreciate your help and everyone else here...This "experiment" worked out very well for me...
Last edited by craig10x on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acsey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by acsey » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:01 pm

craig10x wrote:Thanks mate...i found them...I must say i am very impressed with Opera overall...I love it's speed, page rendering, fonts they use, which are outstanding...much nicer then firefox i think...and it is really great with java, flash, streaming video, etc...Only thing is i wish it were compatible with all websites like IE and Firefox but what i plan to do is use Opera as my main browser now, and the few sites that are incompatible i will use firefox for those....so far i have only experienced two such sites...I do use a brokerage (Optionshouse) which unfortunately only works with IE and Firefox, so for them, i'll get into it using Firefox....other then that... I think it is going to be Opera all the way... :)
Check this page for a button that you can drag to the opera tool bar that opens firefox when you run into a page that doesn't work with opera:

http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons#webdev

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Thanks acsey....nice tip...the way i've been doing that is while in opera, when i go to a website that needs firefox to access, i found that all i had to do was right click my mouse, and on the selections window that comes up , i just hit "Open With" and then "Firefox" and it comes right up...that would save a step i guess...

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Mon May 03, 2010 1:12 pm

craig10x wrote:Although i was wondering how it works as far as getting an upgrade to it...through Mint's package manager or software center? Or is Opera self-upgradable when you click on the help menu in it and it finds a new version to upgrade to?
Or is Opera self-upgradable...
It might be if not noticed by Mint, since they did turn off the updater within Firefox..
--and it's safer to let the Linux distributor manage their repository and packages..

Other than that, simply download it from opera.com or wait until the newer version becomes available in Mint repository

Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker » Mon May 03, 2010 1:22 pm

Unlike FireFox, the "updater" in Opera has never worked for me in Linux. I usually install it the old fashioned way by running the install script that comes with it.
Linux User #384279

rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rich_roast » Mon May 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Don't know how relevant or useful this is, but since I installed Opera a new repository has appeared activated for apt; http://deb.opera.com/opera/

GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit » Mon May 03, 2010 3:08 pm

craig10x wrote:what i plan to do is use Opera as my main browser now, and the few sites that are incompatible i will use firefox for those....so far i have only experienced two such sites...I do use a brokerage (Optionshouse) which unfortunately only works with IE and Firefox, so for them, i'll get into it using Firefox....other then that... I think it is going to be Opera all the way... :)
You can try to trick those sites into thinking that you are visiting them with IE or FF by doing "F12" > "Edit site preferences..." > "Network" tab > "Mask as..."

NexusHumanis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NexusHumanis » Tue May 04, 2010 5:20 am

craig10x wrote:I was just wondering.....The version we have in Linux Mint is the current 10.10 version of course...When the new 10.50 version is released for Linux (at the moment only the windows version is available for that) will we automatically get it on Mint through the Updates? Or would it be available in the Software Manager or the Package Manager?
And what's the best way to change? By doing an upgrade or delete the old version and install the new one?

By the way..i am really enjoying using Opera...i think it's becoming my primary browser :)

>> I am writing this in Opera 10.53 beta for linux (.deb) which is just out, and can be downloaded from the opera website. I also read that the licence for Opera har been change to allow distros to include it in their distros. Final release will be sometime in june.
:

GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit » Tue May 04, 2010 10:01 am

I've been using the linux 10.5x builds without any problem for some time now.

rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rich_roast » Tue May 04, 2010 12:50 pm

Actually I've noticed a freezing bug occasionally maximizing the window with the screen icon after minimizing it using the minimize button, but rarely (and for the most part I don't do that, I minimize to panel clicking the O button) - this is on Fluxbox. Bug might not be Opera, which is why I've not submitted anything or even really looked into it.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Tue May 04, 2010 7:12 pm

wow...i hadn't checked in here for awhile and just saw the newest comments about Opera...thanks so much guys...and anything new or interesting to post about...please feel free to add on here :) (including experiences with the new 10.50 version)...

Well, i guess after i make the switch to Mint 9 (when the stable release comes out) hopefully at that point i should be able to get the final release of Opera 10.50 also...If not
from Mint directly, then by using the deb file from the Opera website.... :wink:

I'm really enjoying using it...it isn't perfect (but then what web browser is...lol)... but it's much nicer for me to use then Firefox...especially because of it's speed and excellent fonts and font rendering (as compared to firefox)...I was aware of the browser, but never thought to try it and now i am glad i did...
So, i am going to stay with it....and keep using it as my primary browser...for the few incompatible sites i come across (very few actually) i will just get on those using firefox of course....

Return to “Newbie Questions”